Online Seminary

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Online Seminary

Post by Curt Sunshine » 25 Aug 2020, 15:59

What bothers me the most is that the online option glaringly favors higher social-economic families. It puts those already in a higher risk group most at risk.

Frankly, I probably would point that out to my leaders - but I have the social capital to do it with at least a chance of them listening.

There are other things that bother me about it, but that one really jumped out at me.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Re: Online Seminary

Post by Roy » 21 Sep 2020, 12:38

With school actually starting now and DD getting into the routine of her new distance learning environment, I told her that she could go to seminary at the church building just to experience it and see what it is all about.

DD said that if she goes once (just to check it out) then that will likely stir more questions and more prodding. "Why didn't you come back?" "Didn't you like it?" "Don't you miss us?" She also feels that going once will serve to weaken the sleep argument by demonstrating that she can wake herself up that early if only she has sufficient motivation.

I have to admit that she is probably correct on all those counts.

We as a family have put in place a boundary. To voluntarily go beyond that boundary may serve to confuse things and invite further well-meaning invitations.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13