Challenging discussion

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
SilentDawning

Re: Challenging discussion

Post by SilentDawning » 12 Jul 2020, 10:36

Gerald wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 05:06
So I guess I just want to say thanks to all who listen/read. Even if you don't comment, it's somewhat comforting to me to know that somewhere somebody knows how I feel.
I have these hit and run conversations with my wife about the church. I have learned to be positive. The only thing that reminds her that I'm not really firing on all the church cylinders is the fact that I don't wear garments, don't pay tithing (something that benefits her financially, so I think part of her doesn't mind) and have only a piddly calling in the church.

I find it's best to be positive about the church as much as possible, supportive, and this lessens the "damage" so to speak. At least in my relationship. You mileage may vary. I am glad that you had your conversation however, and that "no one got hurt" from the sound of it.

One principle that I like to share is the multi-dimensional nature of marriage. The church is one aspect, and your activity therein, but there are other things that trigger love. I like the marriage builders philosophy found at the website by that name (if it still exists). Meeting the top 3 needs of your spouse can keep love alive and compensate somewhat for the lack of activity in the church that "withdraws" from the relationship.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Jul 2020, 16:12

I am SO happy we have been here for you, Gerald - and that you have been here for us.

May there be a road, even if it is less traveled.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

desertghost93

Post by desertghost93 » 15 Jul 2020, 23:02

It's always good to constantly be evaluating your faith; as well as being comfortable with being open about it. No one is perfect, and I think this applies to our personal faith as well. It's always a journey. And indeed a very personal journey. Only Christ knows truly what's in your heart. Faith is something that constantly evolves and changes. Sort of like welding. And as corny as this sounds, follow your heart.
You can’t base your knowledge of a church off-broadway plays and the media, or even comments from church members because there are millions of them and they are all different and have different opinions, just like everybody else in this world.