Divorce support

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Divorce support

Post by Curt Sunshine » 15 Jul 2017, 21:47

God bless you in the path you have chosen. I hope we can be a support group for whatever other issues you have and want to discuss.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 16 Jul 2017, 17:15

I am afraid that I misunderstood your intent and I apologize. The story of one partner going through a faith crisis and breaking the heart of the other is common here and I framed your OP as such. That was my doing, not yours.

Understanding that divorce is something you have already decided upon is different. I am not a believer that divorce is never appropriate, sometimes it is the best option. I wish you well and repeat I hope you find the peace you seek.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 17 Jul 2017, 09:29

How did the big reveal of your true feelings go over the weekend?

I pray that you and your wife can both feel some comfort in this difficult time.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

mom3

Post by mom3 » 17 Jul 2017, 13:52

I am with Roy? What happened? How did she respond?

I am confused about your first post. You never state you have already decided on divorce. Later you clarify it. Yet you say you love her. Are you sure divorce is that answer?

If you are, and you do love her, may I recommend that you are the best divorcing spouse in the world. Don't leave her high and dry. Set her up for full success in the future. Demonstrate your love by making sure she is the most important person in this divorce. That her happiness, safety, and survival are of the utmost importance to you.

You may no longer believe the LDS church is worth anything. But Karma exists, doing good and even great to others really is a noble path of value. In the long run if you let go of her without blame, criticism or even harsh words like "marriage is doomed" you will heal faster and find better roads ahead, than if you blame, accuse, fault fine, and despair.

Mixed faith marriages is our generations gift. We set the course for the world around us. Every successful mixed faith marriage saves an upcoming struggling marriage. Think it over. You could be leader if you so desire.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Baseballplease

Post by Baseballplease » 17 Jul 2017, 15:44

Hi everyone. It went as well as these things can go. We're figuring out the next step. There is no malice between us, we're just both sad. I will be offline until I feel more comfortable.

Thanks again.