Abrahamic Religionist

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Khadijah

Abrahamic Religionist

Post by Khadijah » 21 Mar 2020, 00:28

I'm still defining what that term means for me. I've studied Judaism, 'fallen' Christianity, Mormonism, Islam, and looked at Zoroastrianism, and Yazidism. I am sure that I worship the Creator, and Jesus the christ. Looking at Pre-Judaistic Faiths, it is clear that there is an earlier existence where humans understood little about a visitor that would later be identified as God. There were peoples from Mexico south through Central America and much if not all of South America. It does not appear if they were the Nephites because Mormons feel that the Nephites were in the New World around 400 BC, and the ruins we see today are much later.

One thing is clear to me and that we are to have Sacrament often. I'm still developing on the rest of it. Head covering for women has been around for a very long time. I'm doubtful that it is "to cover the woman's sin". One can see reference to head covering in 1 Cor. 11, and in several places in the O.T. where it is just assumed. Sects of the Jewish faith practice it, and of course there is still Islam. I still have a drawer dedicated to head covering, and thinking about it dismays me.

Starting with Genesis 3:16 it seems clear that men and women share a special relationship. I see no excuse for men to mistreat women as a result of that passage. I do not know if we will ever work that relationship to perfection.

I've thought a lot about obedience to the Levitical Law and it leaves me scratching my head. Though for me, Pork is a hard stop.

I'll spend more time on this later.

Roy

Re: Abrahamic Religionist

Post by Roy » 22 Mar 2020, 12:04

I would be interested to learn anything you can share about the head covering. I once did some research trying to discover why women veil their faces during the temple endowment and I basically landed on that it is a tradition that we borrowed from older traditions.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Khadijah

Post by Khadijah » 22 Mar 2020, 15:02

My original post about covers what I know.

I was a straight up Muslim for 9 years. Wearing my Hijab helped me to feel much more safe and secure. It is not obvious that many sects of Judaism wear wigs or snoods to meet that requirement. Even when with the Mormons, I wore the Hijab until 2017. I'm ashamed to admit that I stopped out of my fear of what Trump and his followers might do.

I'd have to do a lot of digging but there are places in the OT where it seems assumed that women are wearing head covering because it states that the woman being talked about removed her covering for a certain reason. I'm assuming that she put it back on later.

In my opinion, in antiquity, both men and women in desert regions wore a covering to keep the sand out of their hair.

I believe that today women should cover.

As to the Temple, my only experience there is doing Baptisms for the dead. The GA forbid even that after. My opinion of them is quite low.

Roy

Post by Roy » 23 Mar 2020, 08:27

Thank you for sharing those additional details Khadijah.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 23 Mar 2020, 14:56

I taught at a Jewish school for a few years. There were all shades of students there from Orthodox to very much not orthodox. The Rabbi who ran the school was Orthodox and his wife taught Jewish history. After being there a bit I noticed she wore a wig as did some of the other orthodox women who came around, especially the older one. I had a great relationship with the kids so I asked the question one day. The kids I asked were not Orthodox. The answer was simple, and they did not fully understand because they were not Orthodox but said it had to do with covering the head in the same way the men wore a kipa. They said there was some obtuse scripture that supported the idea but that reform Jews and even most conservative Jews didn't do it. I should note that Orthodox, conservative, reform, etc., are not so much pigeon holes as they are a spectrum of beliefs.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction