What does a Temple Recommend mean to you?

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Minyan Man

Re: What does a Temple Recommend mean to you?

Post by Minyan Man » 02 Aug 2020, 08:45

Is there a personal need for a Temple Recommend in light of the Covid virus?
Our ward & stake is pushing for "virtual" TR interviews with the SP.
The only reason for the Stake to ask for this is when the pandemic is over there won't be as big of a
demand for their time & lighten their schedule.

I just don't understand the push. Especially when there are no open temples in the "hot" zones.
I didn't participate in the temple when there was no pandemic. Why do I need the TR now?
I refuse to do anything "virtually" on my computer as it relates to my spiritual life.

There I'm done venting.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 02 Aug 2020, 12:41

Minyan Man wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 08:45
Is there a personal need for a Temple Recommend in light of the Covid virus?
Our ward & stake is pushing for "virtual" TR interviews with the SP.
The only reason for the Stake to ask for this is when the pandemic is over there won't be as big of a
demand for their time & lighten their schedule.

I just don't understand the push. Especially when there are no open temples in the "hot" zones.
I didn't participate in the temple when there was no pandemic. Why do I need the TR now?
I refuse to do anything "virtually" on my computer as it relates to my spiritual life.

There I'm done venting.
I'm totally with you on this one MM. My recommend expires this month and I happen to have a family event (wedding) this month. If I had needed to renew it before the wedding I would have but I wouldn't have been happy about it. And were it not for the wedding I'd have no need of a TR and I'd wait until later because, like you, even pre-pandemic I didn't do the temple. My guess is I'll start getting "reminders" in a couple weeks and I will resist any attempts to get me to renew now.

I think the only reason leadership pushes to renew is because that's a stat that's still reported - endowed members with a current recommend. Somehow it's construed to "look bad" if there are lots in that category.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Rich70

Post by Rich70 » 03 Aug 2020, 01:32

When I step back and see that I have to state that I believe very specific things that I don’t believe and pay a significant amount of money to support things I don’t believe, having a temple recommend to me would mean that I compromised my beliefs and wasn’t being true to myself. If someone doesn’t believe in the church and wants to hold a recommend, I don’t judge for playing along so they can be with family for weddings etc. or any other reason. For me personality, I had to draw the line there.
The history of the temple recommend is very interesting. The history of tithing in the church is interesting too.
Hopefully, the church will move towards civil weddings for the sake of family members of other faiths and beliefs. Isn’t the church all about family? Why exclude? Marry civilly and go get sealed after. The church already does it that way in many countries.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 03 Aug 2020, 05:11

Rich70 wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 01:32
Hopefully, the church will move towards civil weddings for the sake of family members of other faiths and beliefs. Isn’t the church all about family? Why exclude? Marry civilly and go get sealed after. The church already does it that way in many countries.
You're a little behind the times there Rich, the church has been doing this everywhere since May 2019.

FWIW, with the upcoming wedding I am attending they are doing it civilly and in the temple because the bride's family are not members as are some of our family (and some don't have recommends). Still, as a father I choose to go to the temple with my son for this event. Also FWIW, I honestly anwer each of the questions, I am not deceiving anyone nor am I being inauthentic to myself or anyone else.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Rich70

Post by Rich70 » 03 Aug 2020, 22:41

I’m not behind the times, I’m just
Commenting on where I live. Most weddings in Utah county where I’m from are only in the temple. Aside from recent covid caused civil marriages, I’ve mostly seen temple weddings without civil marriages. The church no longer requires a couple to wait a year if they are civilly married first but most marriages I’ve seen don’t take advantage of that. I think it will work it’s way into the church culture here too but I’ve not seen that here.

Roy

Post by Roy » 04 Aug 2020, 09:41

That's an important point to make Rich. Thank you for the additional context. So much of our church experience varies according to our individual location.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Aug 2020, 09:02

Yes, thanks for the clarification and I now understand this is a cultural observation on your part as opposed to a statement on policy.

As irony would have it, the wedding I am about to attend is in Utah County.

My Introduction

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 08 Aug 2020, 09:11

To me it's simply a way of ensuring members are paying their tithing and generally living the commandments of the church. But I believe the payment of tithing is a key motivator for the institutional church to have the TR policy in the first place.

I read a book called Extensions of Power by Michael D. Quinn at one point. And he traced with apparent objectivity the journey the church took to financial stability. It was only when they tied the TR to paying tithing that they became financially healthy.

The fact that I don't have a TR doesn't bother me much. I never really liked the temple. I'm not a rule-driven person. Tend to avoid bureaucracy and rules made by humans wherever possible. I find it irritating when people point out deficiencies in the way my clothing is worn, don't say something exactly correctly etcetera.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Arrakeen

Post by Arrakeen » 08 Aug 2020, 12:34

I think a lot of people, including many church leaders, see a temple recommend as incentivizing activity in the church. To them, the temple is a wonderful, spiritual experience that will strengthen people's testimony and get them to be more active. And the temple recommend makes sure you can have that when the opportunity arises. I think that's also the logic behind building so many temples everywhere. When I got my recommend renewed during my mission, the Mission President told me recommends for missionaries expire a few months after you get home, regardless of when you had it renewed. The idea is that missionaries will have to stay active and follow up with priesthood leaders after going home. I once opened up a little about my doubts to a bishop, who told me "We need to get you going to the temple" as if having and using a recommend would resolve all of my concerns.

The thing is, I hate the temple. It's one of my least favorite parts of the church. Even before my faith crisis I didn't get the appeal. I let my recommend expire after getting home, and I haven't had one in a few years now. I have absolutely no reason to have a recommend. In that regard, I view a temple recommend like a ticket to a concert I don't want to go to or a voucher for a product I don't want.