What does a Temple Recommend mean to you?

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Minyan Man

Re: What does a Temple Recommend mean to you?

Post by Minyan Man » 05 Jul 2020, 09:07

I'm bumping this up again. Today I received an email from our Executive Secretary reminding us that our
TR was about to expire. Our Stake is performing "virtual" interviews with the Bishop & I presume the SP.
In these times especially, why would I want or need a TR?

Our temple is a 3 hr round trip & it's closed. Plus we haven't gone in more than 2 yrs.
I'm sure the only reason for doing it now is to spread out the demands on the Bishop & SP.
They probably a pick up in their schedules when we get back to "normal".

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Jul 2020, 05:04

Minyan Man wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 09:07
I'm bumping this up again. Today I received an email from our Executive Secretary reminding us that our
TR was about to expire. Our Stake is performing "virtual" interviews with the Bishop & I presume the SP.
In these times especially, why would I want or need a TR?

Our temple is a 3 hr round trip & it's closed. Plus we haven't gone in more than 2 yrs.
I'm sure the only reason for doing it now is to spread out the demands on the Bishop & SP.
We're doing the virtual interviews here as well. My recommend expires in August, although I only recently discovered that because we do have a family wedding coming up. I had thought it was expiring this month and was in fact dreading the virtual interview process but since the wedding is in August and my TR expires in August I'm good. If I didn't need a TR for the wedding and it was expiring I'd wait for a live interview. Like you MM I have not been to the temple in a couple years and it's an even longer trip for me. And like other temples it's only open for live husband/wife sealings now anyway.

That said, in addition to giving the bishopric something to do and heading off a glut of appointments post-quarantine, the quarterly report still contains an endowed member with TR stat so from that point of view having everybody up to date looks good. That's probably behind the motivation to contact those with expiring recommends.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 06 Jul 2020, 08:18

Minyan Man wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 09:07
Hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks.

My TR expired near the beginning of the quarantine. I got contacted about doing a virtual interview but I told them I thought it was kinda pointless seeing as how the church and temples were closed. I figured it was partly what DJ mentioned, reviewing the endowed members without an active TR report, and part that orthodox mentality that always having an active TR just in case you die or something.

Hadn't thought of the interview backlog. Maybe it won't be so bad because I imagine there will be a staggered return and I'll stagger in much later than others.
To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.
― Mark Twain

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Jul 2020, 09:04

nibbler wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 08:18
... having an active TR just in case you die or something.
No worries. I memorized the signs and tokens. ;)

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 06 Jul 2020, 10:58

DarkJedi wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 09:04
nibbler wrote:
For those of us who haven't memorized them, you can always use google.
You can find anything on google.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Jul 2020, 15:11

Minyan Man wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 10:58
DarkJedi wrote:
nibbler wrote:
There's also the old guy who will whisper it in your ear standing right next to you... ;)

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 06 Jul 2020, 17:42

That reminds me, there is a symbolism in the temple ceremonies that I really like.
At every step along the endowment etc, there is always someone
to help you along the way. That's the lesson for life too. (or it should be.)

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 07 Jul 2020, 12:15

DarkJedi wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 15:11
Minyan Man wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 10:58
DarkJedi wrote:

There's also the old guy who will whisper it in your ear standing right next to you... ;)
You guys crack me up. :lol:
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Jul 2020, 15:54

Minyan Man, probably my favorite aspect of the temple is that anyone who is there and tries even a tiny bit (even if only by staying) will "succeed" in getting to the Celestial Kingdom.

I personally take that as broader than the mortal attendees, since we do the work for every person who has, does, or will live. To put it differently in a theological way, if someone chose to accept the Father's plan in the pre-existence, with almost no exceptions, they will have the necessary ordinances performed for them. So, if they made the original choice to "show up", they will finish successfully.

I know that is not the orthodox view, and I understand why it can't be, but I choose to see it that way, regardless.

Grace that covers sincere agency, no matter how it manifests, brings a wonderful peace for those who truly believe in it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 13 Jul 2020, 18:16

Curt Sunshine wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 15:54
Minyan Man, probably my favorite aspect of the temple is that anyone who is there and tries even a tiny bit (even if only by staying) will "succeed" in getting to the Celestial Kingdom.
Curt, I like that idea. I never looked at it that way.