This is something inspirational.

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Minyan Man

This is something inspirational.

Post by Minyan Man » 28 Oct 2019, 10:41

This story was in ldsliving.com website. I'm glad the church is making the effort to include members that have special needs.

http://www.ldsliving.com/3-Missionaries ... dium=email

One question:
Can members with Down Syndrome have the Priesthood now?

The reason I ask, my BIL was classified as Special Needs. I'm not sure what the specific diagnosis was.
My MIL always insisted that he go to public school & attend church as a regular member. When it came time for his
8th birthday, he had an interview with the Bishop who told him he didn't need to be baptised. He never talked about it
but he seemed disappointed that he couldn't participate like the other 8 yr olds. As a result, he couldn't participate in the
Aaronic PH either. By the time he was in High School he didn't attend church anymore.

Has this policy changed? It wasn't clear from the article.

Roy

Re: This is something inspirational.

Post by Roy » 28 Oct 2019, 12:41

I also saw that LDS living article and I agree that it represents a positive step towards inclusion.

The church is probably seeking that fine line between including members with special needs and subjecting them to dangerous situations without adequate supervision. Just judging from the limited sample provided it appears the church has done this by 1) allowing service missions in business environments (example of Deseret Industries or Bishop's Storehouse). 2) allowing missions where the a good portion of the time is spent in the mission office. 3) Going out to proselyte in a group of 3 missionaries.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 28 Oct 2019, 16:26

I just wonder if they've had feedback over time that "they don't need baptism" is more hurtful for families than just "go ahead and let them be baptized"...it's not like a baptism is going to hurt someone...better to be kind than be technical on the ordinances.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 28 Oct 2019, 17:29

Heber13 wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 16:26
...better to be kind than be technical on the ordinances.
That's a great way to put it.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Oct 2019, 19:24

Well said, Heber.

Yes, someone with Down's Syndrome can be ordained to an office in the organizational Priesthood structure - while others can't be. Understanding levels vary radically, as they do in the general population.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 29 Oct 2019, 05:39

I think the individuals are supposed to be handled case by case on whether or not the bishop feels the person understands and is ready for baptism. That does unfortunately mean that sometimes leadership roulette is in play.

That said, I do believe the church has made efforts to be more inclusive and to give more individuals the opportunities to serve and participate.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 15 Nov 2019, 11:59

Here's another one I saw today.
http://www.ldsliving.com/10-Latter-day- ... dium=email

Wouldn't you like to meet some of these women?
I don't know where they fall on the "belief spectrum", but they are inspirational.

Roy

Post by Roy » 15 Nov 2019, 12:32

I agree. they are great examples of how to shine in unique ways in God's meadow.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 17 Nov 2019, 14:27

Wonderful.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken