True Pure Simple Gospel of Jesus Christ Relief Society Lesson

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

True Pure Simple Gospel of Jesus Christ Relief Society Lesson

Post by AmyJ » 09 Sep 2019, 07:24

I taught the lesson today in Relief Society. My 9.75 year old daughter is currently anti-Primary (ok technically anti-kid, anti-people etc...) and requested vetoing Primary for Relief Society. I made the call to let her come with me to Relief Society with the understanding that she did not get another "Get Out of Primary Free" card until the 1st of the year.
I made this call because I knew my lesson was focusing on solid spiritual principles and I calculated in true parenting fashion that based on her state of mind, she would probably get more out of my lesson without other kids around then being in Primary. I was nervous about being called out on it by the Relief Society leaders, but I had decided to respectfully hold my ground if asked. I shouldn't have worried, my friends included her in their group and watched out for her - and she charmed her way into being collectively adopted by all the grandmas there :lol:

We went over President Ballard's "The True, Pure, and Simple Gospel of Jesus Christ". He made points regarding what doctrine looks like, the 2 great commandments, the foundational 4th article of faith, the importance of Sabbath Observance, and Ministering out of love.
  • We went over briefly how there can be differences between doctrine, policy, protocol, or procedure.
  • We touched on the 4th article of faith - and I asked the sisters to talk together to discuss how their understanding of one of those principles had changed in the last 6 months.
  • We talked over the 2 great commandments, and some tips to help find the balancing point between our needs and the needs of those that we love and serve.
  • We talked over Sunday Observances and prompted personal introspection on what simple change to make and execute.
  • We focused on ministering (official and unofficial) - the key points being keep it simple, personal, and uplifting.
I always include a quote from one (or more) of the sister leaders in my lesson - usually also from a General Conference talk within the last 2-3 years. This one I feel is a gem from Sister Bingham in April 2018 because it gets to the essence of ministering:
"It looks like going for a walk, getting together for a game night, offering service, or even serving together. It looks like visiting in person or talking on the phone or chatting online or texting. It looks like delivering a birthday card and cheering at a soccer game. It looks like sharing a scripture or quote from a conference talk that would be meaningful to that individual. It looks like discussing a gospel question and sharing testimony to bring clarity and peace. It looks like becoming part of someone’s life and caring about him or her.”

It was a challenge teaching because my daughter wanted to be where I was and wanted to take over the conversations (if I would let her), but we found a good balance.

LDS_Scoutmaster

Re: True Pure Simple Gospel of Jesus Christ Relief Society Lesson

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 09 Sep 2019, 11:28

Nice that she was able to hear your lesson and that you went ahead with talking her out of primary. I think it's good for kids to attend older people classes now and then.
I had experiences in scouting where parents complained that I was being my younger son on activities with the older boys. If I could go back now I would simply say no when these concerns came up. My younger sons got so much out of those activities and I'm glad I was able to bring them on the ones I did.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 09 Sep 2019, 12:18

Sounds like it was a great lesson. Want to come teach PH in my ward? :D (feel free to bring your daughter)

I have used that same quote from Sr. Bingham. I don't hear it as much now (although I still do hear it) but for the first few months I kept hearing "I don't know what I'm supposed to do" (adding my inference "because there's no box to check"). Her quote is the perfect answer to that question/complaint. I really do love that quote.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 09 Sep 2019, 18:11

What you taught your daughter was the greatest lesson of all. Well done.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 10 Sep 2019, 07:07

DarkJedi wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:18
Sounds like it was a great lesson. Want to come teach PH in my ward? :D (feel free to bring your daughter)
Anytime - as long as you cover transportation expenses :D (kidding.. mostly).

But I am happy to PM you (or anyone) the official lesson that you can tailor to the needs of your group:)

Roy

Post by Roy » 10 Sep 2019, 08:27

When my kids were in primary we decided that they could come to class with us if they preferred. We figured that if our children would prefer to quietly read a book in a corner than to go to primary then that was a shortcoming of the primary program. (ultimately I feel that primary is not designed with children's needs in mind).

Now that our children are older we require them to go to class on the weeks when it is YW/YM (in order to socialize with their peer group) and we give them the option on SS weeks.

I love your lessons Amy! Keep fighting the good fight.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Sep 2019, 09:20

AmyJ wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 07:07
DarkJedi wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:18
Anytime - as long as you cover transportation expenses :D (kidding.. mostly).

But I am happy to PM you (or anyone) the official lesson that you can tailor to the needs of your group:)
I'm not the teacher or in the presidency, I just have to endure the instructors/lessons we do have. Or not. Sometimes I sit in the foyer or try to ignore as much as possible. One of our instructors is much better than the other but neither are like you.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 Sep 2019, 16:17

Love it.

Thanks.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 13 Sep 2019, 08:21

What a great lesson. For your class & you daughter. As I was reading your post & the accompanying replies I wondered.
What would a ward "look like" with members that are on this forum? People who have gone through a FC & come out
whole on the other side. Or, who are transitioning to a different level of faith. Just wondering.

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 16 Sep 2019, 05:06

Minyan Man wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 08:21
What a great lesson. For your class & you daughter. As I was reading your post & the accompanying replies I wondered.
What would a ward "look like" with members that are on this forum? People who have gone through a FC & come out
whole on the other side. Or, who are transitioning to a different level of faith. Just wondering.
I have thought about that too off and on.

I think that there would be greater empathy because most of us have more or less viscerally felt the uncertainty of a faith transition, which has taught us to ask "What is important here" and taught us not to assume that one-size-fits-all is the ideal.

I think it would be harder to get over offenses because we would subconsciously have higher expectations of "that person should know better based on similar experiences".