Sandy Hook Parents Video

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
mom3

Sandy Hook Parents Video

Post by mom3 » 19 Jul 2019, 14:48

These people are in our Stake.

Like all things there are some double edge moments in this, because many of us have losses and grief beyond words. We never got the sparks of joy. Simultaneously though, I am deeply moved by their story.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/med ... y?lang=eng
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Minyan Man

Re: Sandy Hook Parents Video

Post by Minyan Man » 19 Jul 2019, 17:54

Thank you.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 20 Jul 2019, 18:33

Thank you for sharing this.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 21 Jul 2019, 15:34

Beautiful!

I feel like this answers the title question of "Do miracles still exist" by shrinking the definition of miracles down to more mundane daily events that bring us joy.
We think of miracles as large and grand – and they can be – but there are miracles all around us that we take for granted, including spiritual miracles and finding happiness amid hurt and pain.
This quote is taken from the summary below the video and seems pretty close to what was directly said in the video.
"A miracle is not a life without pain, a miracle is learning to deal with the pain and finding happiness with the pain."
What does it say about our search for miracles that we are defining miracles in a decidedly non-miraculous way?

Is every blessing a miracle? Also do blessings/miracles happen without God's direct involvement?

OTOH the undercurrent of my faith crisis was the I believed God would bless/protect my family physically. It is most probably a good thing if we are at all taking measures to deemphasize overt divine interventions. Possibly a way to "inoculate" others before they follow my path. This woman used the word "overt" to describe how we are accustomed to understanding miracles. I found that to be an interesting word. Overt means - done or shown openly; plainly or readily apparent, not secret or hidden. The opposite of overt is covert, secret, or hidden. Secret miracles? Hidden Miracles? Tender Mercies? Yeah, I suppose that is not the worst foundation for building faith.
from my signature line
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13