Relief Society Lesson - Turn on Your Light

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Relief Society Lesson - Turn on Your Light

Post by AmyJ » 16 Jul 2019, 06:34

I gave a R.S. lesson combining quotes from Sister Sharon Eubank's talk "Turn on Your Light" from Oct 2017 and Bishop W. Christopher Waddell's talk "Just As He Did" from April 2019.

Sister Eubanks' talk was leaning towards missionary work, but I took the topic more in the direction as "principles that might help you be a better person that others may or may not see" - it had a distinctly "You Do You" Vibe.

I pulled together 5 principles with quotes from the talks and broke the sisters into partnerships/trios (we only had 12 sisters attending) to discuss. I included these questions for each of the groups:
  • What does this mean to you? What does it make you think about?
  • How does this understanding change your actions?
  • When are you going to implement these actions?
  • What do you want to share with the rest of the sisters?
TOPICS
Righteousness - “Being righteous doesn’t mean being perfect or never making mistakes. It means developing an inner connection with God, repenting of our sins and mistakes, and freely helping others.”

Articulateness - "Tell them why you believe, what it feels like, if you ever doubted, how you got through it, and what Jesus Christ means to you."
We actually spent a lot of time talking about identifying what to say and sometimes not saying anything at all, actually.

Distinct & Different - "Can you bear being distinct and different?"
At first I sloughed off this question, but I keep coming around to it. The older I get, the more I think we assume that we are more of a homogenous group then we really are. People seem to be very diverse, but very scared of being diverse at the same time.

Happy - “Will your happiness in spite of your trials draw others who are good and noble and who need your friendship?”

Ministering to Others - "As we seek the guidance of the Spirit and trust the Lord, we will be placed in situations and circumstances where we can act and bless—in other words, minister. There may be other times when we recognize a need but feel inadequate to respond, assuming that what we have to offer is insufficient."

OTHER HIGHLIGHTS:
I got called a "Molly Mormon" by one of our sharp older sisters. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: It boggles the mind.

2 of the unique sisters in our branch had gotten the topic of being "different and distinct" which fits either of them like perfectly sized gloves. Somehow the conversation got onto being weird and old (they are in their 70's) - and I quipped that they were giving me an example to look up to.

Visibly startled/surprised/shocked (it's hard to tell) Sister A said something like, "No you're not - you're a Molly Mormon, I've watched you and figured that out". Sister B interjected with camaderie, "No, she's like us - she's our kind of weird."

I know how Sister A arrived at that conclusion (I checked the check boxes and don't have obvious issues that would draw attention to my deviance). I just find it both hilarious (I may follow the letter of the Molly Mormonism [except for the cooking/baking thing] but yeah, not one) and flattering (it means my concealment is working). My husband and my mom have also been let in and appreciate the joke:)

Roy

Re: Relief Society Lesson - Turn on Your Light

Post by Roy » 17 Jul 2019, 15:57

Sounds wonderful Amy. I love the "you do you" aspect. I have appreciated that the church is becoming more adaptable with the recent changes in 3rd hour and ministering. I hope that this will continue. I want to be Mormon, I just need the space to do so in my way and at my pace.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 19 Jul 2019, 04:53

Great lesson. Thanks for sharing it with us.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 19 Jul 2019, 06:18

Thanks again, I always appreciate when people on this site post lesson outlines or talks they've given.