Relief Society Lesson

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Relief Society Lesson

Post by AmyJ » 24 Jun 2019, 07:57

I taught Relief Society yesterday (and remembered a nursery snack for the win!!)

I centered the talk around Elder Kyle McKay's talk "The Immediate Goodness of God" focusing on how we hope to connect to God. The 2 key points I took from his talk were that we desire a connection to God, and that we desire immediate and/or long-term deliverance.

I brought in Joy B. Jones' comments about "worth" and "worthiness" - sometimes our connection is blurred because these 2 concepts are not balanced in our lives properly. Most of the time, most sisters do not really believe that they are worth it to God innately, and focus on the executive functioning tasks to generate "worthiness" for a connection with God.

I told the sisters that this was probably the most important part of his talk - the "when it doesn't work out that way" clause:
"I realize that sometimes life’s experiences create confusion and turbulence that can make it difficult to receive or recognize or retain the kind of relief that came to Emilie and Alicia. I have been through such times. I testify that, during such times, our mere preservation is a tender and powerful manifestation of the immediate goodness of God."

To me, watching him when he was giving this part of his talk was amazing. The feeling was just welling up from within him as he was telling us this.
I am hopeful that if God is involved in our lives, that God would be involved in stabilizing my faith transition. I don't know, and I don't bet the farm on that anymore - but I do choose to believe that, and felt that it was important.

mom3

Re: Relief Society Lesson

Post by mom3 » 24 Jun 2019, 16:40

I remember loving this talk during GC. Elder McKay's Dad, was my husband's Mission President. My husband loved him. I got to meet him one time. He was warm, jovial, charismatic, and liberal. To me the son seems to follow the same scenario.

Extra bonus points for remembering the nursery snack.

I love when lessons can empower us. It sounds like you did just that. Good for you.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 24 Jun 2019, 22:06

Something tells me that if your faith transition is honest and sincere, God is there with you and leading you along the path of growth. That is what He cares about most in us...the growth and learning. All else takes care of itself. God wants a willing heart and contrite spirit. He knows when you are ready for new things.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Roy

Post by Roy » 25 Jun 2019, 09:22

Beautifully done!
Why do we matter to God?
How do we connect with Him?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 25 Jun 2019, 10:46

I wish there were a Ward for: Misfit toys (like me).
Some of the very best suggestions or ideas or inspiration for talks have come from this forum.
I wish I could listen in on your lesson Amy.