Tom Christofferson Essay "A Place for Our Fellow Saints"

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
mom3

Tom Christofferson Essay "A Place for Our Fellow Saints"

Post by mom3 » 19 May 2019, 14:50

I love this essay. I love even more the man who wrote it.

I have had a lifelong struggle with "The Church" marginalizing people. Whether it's a group or an individual. The Gods of my heart don't do that. As a teen it hurt when selected ward members or groups were dismissed, ridiculed, driven from the fold. Even worse were the race issues of the day.

The story hasn't changed much. There is always an out group or two. From my chair today it's LGBTQ members and women.

This long essay sheds inspiring light on inclusion. If LGBT isn't your issue, but another group is - substitute their name and read this. I am copying all the GA quotes for personal use during classes and talks.

Read. Discuss.

https://faithmatters.org/a-place-for-our-fellow-saints/
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Re: Tom Christofferson Essay "A Place for Our Fellow Saints"

Post by DarkJedi » 19 May 2019, 16:04

Thanks for sharing, Mom. Strongly considering sharing with my bishop and SP.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 19 May 2019, 18:11

Wow! powerful!

I particularly liked a number of parts:
1) Tom theorizes that orientation may be part of our eternal intelligences. This then indicates that orientation is eternal. This turns on its head any promise that homosexual orientation will change in the next life.
2) He agreed with the current church position that homosexual orientation may be innate but that how we act on that orientation is a matter of agency with consequences. Then he elaborates and says that whatever choices are made in regard to dating and family life there will be sacrifices and tradeoffs.
3) He mentions some that may choose to remain celibate that will have the time and resources to bless multiple families. I wonder if he might see himself in this role. That he sacrificed his own relationship in order to become a more credible voice of love and compassion on this issue within the church.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 19 May 2019, 19:28

He is tying to walk a path that many will not understand, and I absolutely love that he say she each person has to reach a decision for her/himself, while our only correct choice is to love them no matter what.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 20 May 2019, 09:50

I also love that he rejects that "all in" or "all out" mindset. Saying explicitly that chastity before gay marriage and fidelity after gay marriage is better than promiscuity. He says that to live the gospel in whatever degree as your situation and circumstances will permit is a noble and worthy goal.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 20 May 2019, 10:18

Roy wrote:
20 May 2019, 09:50
I also love that he rejects that "all in" or "all out" mindset. Saying explicitly that chastity before gay marriage and fidelity after gay marriage is better than promiscuity. He says that to live the gospel in whatever degree as your situation and circumstances will permit is a noble and worthy goal.
I love this too, and partly because it addresses so many other issues like WoW.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction