Priesthood Session At Home - With the Girls

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Priesthood Session At Home - With the Girls

Post by AmyJ » 08 Apr 2019, 06:16

Since the priesthood sessions started being broadcast, I sometimes watch them at home with my husband.

I missed both Saturday morning and afternoon sessions of conference because I took my 2 girls to a science festival (great fun was had by all). I made the personal decision that the best use of my time was to watch/listen to the men's session.
1. I wanted to see if the men were given the BoM or Social Media challenge to.
2. One of the best talks I have heard by President Utchdorf for me was originally given to the brethren.
3. I knew that if I did not put it on, it was likely that my husband would miss it and we would all suffer the opportunity cost.

As we were getting ready to watch the broadcast, my 9 year old daughter asked to stay up to watch it with us. It was probably a "I-can-stay-up-late" ploy - but it was the puppy eyes she was giving us, the fact that she could sleep in the next day, the fact that she had had a good day behavior-wise and that fact that it could potentially bless her life that swayed us.

So she changed into her bright pink pajamas, got her pink-and-white blanket and pillow out, and grabbed her red notebook and pink flowered pencil...

There were some good talks given which changed the atmosphere of our living room. The best part was watching my daughter lean forward on the parts that she intuitively understood could be transposed to her situation. Also, it was more partner focused - the talks around the home were more focused on the why of being a partner then the how in terms of roles (which I admired).

I grinned at the end of some of the remarks (I think it was Elder Oaks) who spoke directly to "the sisters he knew were listening or would read his words...).

Roy

Re: Priesthood Session At Home - With the Girls

Post by Roy » 08 Apr 2019, 11:49

Wonderful Amy! Thanks for sharing!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

mom3

Post by mom3 » 09 Apr 2019, 00:55

Ah but the men never did get the social media challenge. Just the women and youth.

I am glad your family had a special evening.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 09 Apr 2019, 01:05

mom3 wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 00:55
Ah but the men never did get the social media challenge. Just the women and youth.
I took it and think other men should. Solidarity, sister!
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

mom3

Post by mom3 » 09 Apr 2019, 01:24

I took it and think other men should. Solidarity, sister!
Sam, if they had t-shirts I would buy you one. Thanks.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman