Theology of Star Wars

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
DarkJedi

Re: Theology of Star Wars

Post by DarkJedi » 07 Apr 2019, 08:16

The story of Star Wars is good overcoming seemingly insurmountable evil. It's that simple, let's not complicate it. (I think we hear similar words from our GAs about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 Apr 2019, 08:47

DarkJedi wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 08:16
The story of Star Wars is good overcoming seemingly insurmountable evil. It's that simple, let's not complicate it. (I think we hear similar words from our GAs about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.)
There's a lot of New Age pseudo-Oriental stuff dumped in there too.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 07 Apr 2019, 09:00

Doing Episodes 1-8 here, but the original trilogy is still the best, and the Disney episodes I hate:

Episode 1: You have a democratic republic. You have a strong religious organization, focused on embracing the "light side", vanquishing the "dark side" and keeping the peace. It's adherents believe in aeseticism, self sacrifice, and most importantly, forbidding attachments. Emotions such as fear, hate, anger, are all labeled as evil, and should be eliminated. There's also a prophecy about a "chosen one" who will be born, and bring "balance to the force". A particular Jedi, Qui-Gon, loves the religious order, but recognizes his shortcomings. He's all about doing what he feels is right, even if it goes against the wishes of the religious leadership. As such, he is kept from such leadership. One day, while he's out, he finds the "chosen one". This child didn't have a father (imaculate conception), and has an incredibly strong connection to the force. He rescues the boy from slavery, and tries to rescue the mother, but cannot. Unfortuantely, the Jedi order don't really care, since Jedi aren't supposed to maintain family attachments. But then they see that the child is sad, because he was taken away from his mother, and might never see her again. From this separation, they see the seeds of the "dark side". Later, Qui Gon dies, and makes his apprentice promise to train the "Chosen One" in the force, as his dying wish. Also, a bad man got elected as president, over frustrations with the inefficency and red tape of democracy.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

dande48

Post by dande48 » 07 Apr 2019, 09:00

Episode 2: Another member of the "Jedi Religion", Qui Gon's old "master" Dooku, becomes disillusioned with the hypocrasy of the Jedi order, and the corruption of the republic. With the death of his former apprentice, he resigns. He returns to his estate, and assumes his old nobility titles. "Bad man President" Palaptine, contacts him, and expresses similar frustration. They both conspire to overthrow and reshape the government into something better. Using The "Chosen One" Anakin grows up, and falls in love with the senator/queen Padme he met a long time ago. This is forbidden by the Jedi order. Anakin also has visions of his mother being tortured and dying. He runs off with Padme to "save her". She dies in his arms. He feels angry at the Jedi order, and himself, for allowing this to happen. In anger, he kills the entire tribe of savages, that kidnapped his mother. A war is started, between the republic and "separatists" lead by Count Dooku. Anakin commits the terrible sin of marrying Padme. Palpatine enacts emergency powers, making the republic into a "temporary dictatorship".
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

dande48

Post by dande48 » 07 Apr 2019, 09:01

Episode 3: The war has been going on for a long time. Anakin and ObiWan go on a mission to save Palpatine. Palpatine has become a mentor and father figure to Anakin, despite not being a Jedi. Count Dooku beats ObiWan very bad and knocks him out. Anakin defeats Dooku and murders him at the request of Palpatine. He does this because "He is too dangerous to be left alive", plus he harmed the two men Anakin really loves and respects the most. Anakin has bad dreams about his wife dying. He tells Yoda about the dream, without letting him know it's about his wife. Yoda tells him to "let it go", and give up attachment. Palpatine offers a new solution, suggesting it is possible to achieve power over death using "the force", but the Jedi could never gain that power because of their dogma. He reveals himself to be a "Sith Lord", which is the antithesis to the Jedi. But he assures anakin it's just a difference in philosophy, and he's really "not that bad". He's always been a good friend and mentor to Anakin, and can help save his wife from dying. Anakin, overcome with the dogma of his religion, reports to the Jedi that Palpatine is a "Sith". Since the Jedi hate the Sith and believe them to be the opitome of evil, they rush off to arrest him. This makes the Jedi enemies of the state. Anakin defects, joins the Sith, and heralds in the destruction of the Jedi order. Palpatine reforms the government into an empire. Padme is heartbroken from Anakin turning to the darkside, and dies of grief, but not before giving birth to twins. Palpatine tells Anakin he killed padme himself. ObiWan discovers that QuiGon has become the first Jedi to transcend death and become "one with the force". QuiGon takes on both Yoda and ObiWan as "pseudo apprentices".
Last edited by dande48 on 07 Apr 2019, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

-Lemony Snicket

dande48

Episode 4: The Empire has created a planet destroying weapon, the Death Star. Anakin's brother-in-law, who is raising Anakin's son Luke, buys a couple of droids. One of the droids has a message for "Obi Wan Kenobi". Luke goes out to find an old hermit mentor of his, "Ben Kenobi", wondering if its the same person. Obiwan recaps a bit on the history of the empire, and how Darth Vader killed Anakin. ObiWan gives Luke the "call to adventure". Luke rejects it. But then his foster family is murdered by the empire, so he goes anyway. Heading offworld, they get captured by the Death Star. They rescue a princess, who later turns out to be Luke's twin sister. ObiWan is killed by Darth Vader. Through the lax computer security on the death Star, the droid R2-D2 hacks the system and lets them all escape. But a tracking system is put on their ship, and it reveals to the empire the main rebel base. Luke succeeds in blowing up the Death Star before the Death Star blows up the rebel base.

-Lemony Snicket

dande48

Episode 5: Luke is told he needs to go meet up with Yoda, the last living Jedi master. Luke's friends, Princess Leia, Han Solo, and Chewie are all on the run from the empire. Luke finds Yoda, who acts like a crazy person to "test Luke's patience". He determines Luke is too brash to train, but then ghost Obiwan convinces him. Luke's friends get captured by Darth Vader on Cloud City, and are tortured. Luke has visions of their pain and suffering, much like Anakin did all those years earlier. Yoda gives his Jedi spiel about self-sacrifice and giving up attachment. Luke disobeys Yoda, forsakes his training, and runs off to save his friends. He faces off with Darth Vader, who cuts off his hand, and reveals himself to really be Anakin, Luke's father. Luke escapes through "self sacrifice", jumping into a very deep hole. He's shocked by this revelation, as Obiwan had in effect lied to him about his father. Luke has his hand replaced with an mechanical hand, becoming quite literally a little more like his father.

-Lemony Snicket

dande48

Episode 6: The empire build another planet destroying super weapon "Death Star", bigger than the first. Luke confronts Obiwan about his "lie". This dialog is important:
Luke: I can't do it, R2. I can't go on alone.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: [voice emanates from nowhere] Yoda will always be with you. [reveals himself as a spirit walking nearby]
Luke: Obi-Wan. Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father.
Obi-Wan: Your father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.
Luke: [incredulously] A certain point of view?
Obi-Wan: Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. Anakin was a good friend. When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot. But I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong.
Luke: There is still good in him.
Obi-Wan: He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil.
Luke: I can't do it, Ben.
Obi-Wan: You cannot escape your destiny. You must face Darth Vader again.
Luke: I can't kill my own father.
Obi-Wan: [resigned] Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope.
Luke: Yoda spoke of another.
Obi-Wan: The other he spoke of is your twin sister.
Luke: But I have no sister.
Obi-Wan: [nods] Mm. To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did. If Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous.
Luke: [with sudden realization] Leia. Leia's my sister.
Obi-Wan: Your insight serves you well. Bury your feelings deep down, Luke. They do you credit, but they could be made to serve the Emperor.
Luke turns himself into the Empire. Darth Vader brings him before Emperor Palpatine. Luke refuses to fight Darth Vader, blatantly going against both the wishes of Palpatine, Yoda, and Obiwan (interesting). Darth Vader is able to discern through the force that Luke has a twin sister. He states that if Luke won't join the "dark side", "perhaps she will". Luke is filled with absolute rage, out of love for his sister, and fights and defeats Darth Vader. But ultimately, out of love for his father, refuses to kill him. The emperor tortures Luke. Out of love for his son, Darth Vader/Anakin/"the Chosen One", kills the emperor. They both escape. The Death Star is destroyed. Balance is brought to the force, and within both Anakin and Luke Skywalker. Balance was not achieved by routing out the "darkness", but rather by harmonizing both the darkness and the light. The Jedi were wrong, to embrace only the light. The Sith were wrong, to embrace only the darkness. Both were destroyed, and the galaxy is allowed to start anew.

-Lemony Snicket

dande48

Episode 7: The cycle continues. Luke started a new Jedi order, which failed and was destroyed. He's now gone into hiding, just like Yoda once did. A new "Empire" has risen up, with a new planet destroying weapon, bigger than the last. A girl who is strong in the force, and living on a desert planet, has a "call to adventure" due to a message from an "R2-D2 like" droid. She joins up with Han Solo, find's luke's lightsaber (which fell into a gas giant, last I checked), uncovers her incredible (literally I don't believe it) force powers. They all destroy the planet destroying weapon. Same story, different characters. Cycles.

-Lemony Snicket

dande48

Post by dande48 » 07 Apr 2019, 09:02

Episode 8: Rey goes off to find the last Jedi, Luke. He trains her, but she doesn't really need it. She tells him that the Jedi were corrupt, that they allowed the dark side to become so powerful by only embracing the light, and after restarting the Jedi order and failing, Luke wants to do away with the Jedi religion entirely. Kylo Ren, the new Darth Vader, reaches out to Rey through the force. He has become disillusioned with the Sith as well. He believes they should "let the past die". The cycle of pain and suffering, the war of light and dark, empires vs repblic continues. The only way to break the cycle is by doing away with the cause of the cycle, the dichotemy and endless war between "light and dark". He "captures" Rey, and brings her before the new Emperor. Kylo then betrays his emperor and master, and overthrows the new "Empire". He then asks Rey to join him in breaking the cycle, doing away with both the Jedi and the Sith, and bringing in a better world. She rejects him... and this is what I HATE about Disney and gender politics... because it turns out what the Jedi really needed was not a paradigm shift, but a "Mary Sue" woman in charge. So Kylo takes over the first order, and the cycle still continues.

-Lemony Snicket