Come Follow Me - Pilot Best Practice

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Rusty92

Come Follow Me - Pilot Best Practice

Post by Rusty92 »

The general membership are starting the new curriculum come follow me this year, it was piloted in some stakes but why cant we be told how the pilot went, what was good, what didn't go so well? I don't get it!
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: Come Follow Me - Pilot Best Practice

Post by Old-Timer »

Because that wasn't the intent of the pilot.

What did and didn't work was meant to inform development, not to be published.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
dande48

Post by dande48 »

Rusty92 wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 15:53 The general membership are starting the new curriculum come follow me this year, it was piloted in some stakes but why cant we be told how the pilot went, what was good, what didn't go so well? I don't get it!
Why would we need or want to? It's outdated information. Anything "useful" they've learned has already been incorperated, or sent out as instruction.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
Rusty92

Post by Rusty92 »

I realise that the finished product we have is the result of the pilot but it would of been useful to have had the practicalities of how it worked within the wards, i know we have to learn for ourselves but what is wrong with the concept of sharing best practice? the concept is used widely elsewhere why not in the church?
dande48

Post by dande48 »

Rusty92 wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 00:55 i know we have to learn for ourselves but what is wrong with the concept of sharing best practice? the concept is used widely elsewhere why not in the church?
They've shared what they've found to be "best practice" in its current instructions and implementation (provided people actually follow it).
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
Roy

Post by Roy »

The church has never been overly transparent about things in development. That is just not their MO.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

A few videos were shown during SS today and one of them was a testimonial from people about the Come Follow Me program. I suspect that's another reason they do the pilot programs, so they can have testimonials ready on day one of the rollout.
I kept a diary right after I was born. Day 1: Tired from the move. Day 2: Everyone thinks I'm an idiot.
— Steven Wright
mom3

Post by mom3 »

Plus we are still in the pilot program.

38 years ago, when the new block program came into play, it had piloted in Utah and Idaho. It worked beautifully because the church members are the community in those areas. It was super smooth to cut out a bunch of mid week stuff and everyone be fine.

So out they rolled it. The New Revealed Plan.

Funny thing, out the Mission field, it wasn't so good. Especially for youth and kids. The loss of midweek connection with other "Mormon" kids was causing a huge loss. My mom was a Stake YW Pres. She and a batch of others from her area, wrote letters, went to Utah, and other church places and pled that midweek activities for youth come back. It took a good 2 years for the powers that be to see the wisdom of the complaint. Sure enough little by little midweek activities came back. (Between you and me, we went overboard) - but the same thing is going to happen here.

It already is. There are going to be a million tweaks.

My SP, said he gets emails every Friday with some new update or change. It's now clockwork.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman