He totally changed sacrament meeting

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
dande48

Re: He totally changed sacrament meeting

Post by dande48 » 11 Dec 2018, 07:23

nibbler wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 06:42
The real question... is the 23rd close enough to Christmas to trigger a SM only Sunday? Probably not.
I LOVE it when they do this... but also think it's kind of funny. What's it say about the other two hours, when the local leadership recognizes people more important things to be doing around Christmas? Glad we're switching to the 2 hour block.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 11 Dec 2018, 08:01

nibbler wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 06:42
The real question... is the 23rd close enough to Christmas to trigger a SM only Sunday? Probably not.
Actually, yes. I thought that was well known/publicized. The Q15 has directed that 12/23 will be SM only.

I know that our SP has instructed the leaders of each ward in our stake to remind people giving a talk to focus on Christ. They even received instruction to make sure people hear about Christ at some point during SM, meaning if the speakers don't do it the person conducting should give a short testimony of Christ. It may not always happen but it's on the radar.
I do think the SPs are getting this from above. I think my own SP and bishop are more oriented that way anyway but it certainly doesn't hurt to be getting it from their communication lines with the top leadership. In my prior comment I used the phrase "to some extent" in referring to other units in the stake. It's really mostly, but for some wards it has taken longer to sort of "trickle down" and quite frankly overcome tradition (of not talking about Christ :roll: ). I was actually pretty pleasantly surprised recently when I visited one of the wards I consider to be one of the worst offenders and all three talks were Christ centered. I don't know if it's that way every Sunday but it was a step in the right direction for them.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 Dec 2018, 15:11

The wards in our stake are only having SM on the 23rd.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken