He totally changed sacrament meeting

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
SamBee

He totally changed sacrament meeting

Post by SamBee » 03 Dec 2018, 13:46

https://mylifebygogogoff.com/2018/11/my ... eting.html
My Bishop Changed One Tiny Thing And It Totally Changed Sacrament Meeting.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roy

Re: He totally changed sacrament meeting

Post by Roy » 04 Dec 2018, 12:27

I very much agree that the best talks are the ones where we learn something about the speaker. Where did they come from? why are they here? How do they feel about XYZ and how did they reach that position? It surprised me to learn that these types of conversion stories and called "giving testimony" in some other religions.

Upon reflection, it makes sense to me that "testimony" is what I have personally witnessed or experienced. I therefore find it a little amusing that for our "testimony" meeting we instead emphasize a recitation of (and a recommitment to) the core truth claims of the church.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

PazamaManX

Post by PazamaManX » 04 Dec 2018, 16:08

I would love this change in our sacrament meetings! Our ward does exactly what the writer described, giving talks on general conference talks. It's rare to hear a talk that quotes from the scriptures (unless the scripture was mentioned in the assigned conference talk) and the majority make no mention of Christ in any way at all. I can't even remember the last time I came out of a sacrament meeting feeling genuinely uplifted.
"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness, even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson

mom3

Post by mom3 » 09 Dec 2018, 07:20

I would love this change in our sacrament meetings! Our ward does exactly what the writer described, giving talks on general conference talks. It's rare to hear a talk that quotes from the scriptures (unless the scripture was mentioned in the assigned conference talk) and the majority make no mention of Christ in any way at all. I can't even remember the last time I came out of a sacrament meeting feeling genuinely uplifted.
This ^^^ is why I love to be asked to speak. Have done so all my life. When I was a youth speaker I was taught this method. You were usually given a word or phrase (maybe a scripture) and your job was to create a meaningful talk. My mom and I worked hard to bring together talks that were not repeats. I still remember my very first talk. I used the story by Nathaniel Hawthorne called "The Great Stone Face".

Today I keep the same method for lessons and talks. Time and again people thank me. Last month, a woman from the neighboring Stake borrowed my talk for her Stake Conference talk.

If we want to see this change, we need to be this change. Next time you are sitting in Sacrament Meeting or a totally boring lesson rehash, start practicing. Rewrite the lesson. Even if they are rehashing, grab a golden word or phrase and jettison it. Write them down. Practice them. Maybe even volunteer to speak.

I can give entire talks and never reference a GC talk, even if it's assigned to me.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 09 Dec 2018, 11:59

Although I've been given conference talks as the subject to speak on, I never used it as they said in the article, just reading it or making it any different than how the new bishop suggested speakers approach talks.

I always took the idea from conference talks, and then ran with it on my own with my own stories and my own spin on it.

I've never had anyone say I should do it differently.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 09 Dec 2018, 17:30

Heber13 wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 11:59
Although I've been given conference talks as the subject to speak on, I never used it as they said in the article, just reading it or making it any different than how the new bishop suggested speakers approach talks.

I always took the idea from conference talks, and then ran with it on my own with my own stories and my own spin on it.

I've never had anyone say I should do it differently.
Same here. I try not to stray too far away though.

When I first became active again we had a string of speakers who would barely bother rewording the talks and read them out badly. It's really a pre-broadcast throwback. I would prefer to watch the original talk.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 09 Dec 2018, 20:54

I have been fortunate to have lived in multiple wards where the Bishop actively asked people to focus on Christ somehow in their talks and also assigned spiritual topics.

It helped that I suggested that approach when I had the chance. :P
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

PazamaManX

Post by PazamaManX » 10 Dec 2018, 17:19

Yesterday at church, I was reminded of this thread. Our bishop made an announcement that the Sunday before Christmas, all of the talks would be on Christ and to be sure to invite someone. I was glad to hear it, but I couldn't help but think, "Shouldn't it always be like that?" I know there times I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing someone to church because I don't trust that the talks/lessons are going to be a good first experience. One example, back in my YSA ward almost every talk and lesson was about missionary work. Had I invited someone, they would have come only to hear about inviting more people to church.
Curt Sunshine wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 20:54
I have been fortunate to have lived in multiple wards where the Bishop actively asked people to focus on Christ somehow in their talks and also assigned spiritual topics.
I love this ^^. In my current ward, as I mentioned in a post earlier, Christ is seldom mentioned. If I brought someone on a regular Sunday, all they would hear is talks and quotes from GAs. Those are all well and good, but if I bring someone to a church that claims to be Christ's church, then I would hope they could see Christ at least talked about in some way.
"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness, even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 11 Dec 2018, 06:09

PazamaManX wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 17:19
Yesterday at church, I was reminded of this thread. Our bishop made an announcement that the Sunday before Christmas, all of the talks would be on Christ and to be sure to invite someone. I was glad to hear it, but I couldn't help but think, "Shouldn't it always be like that?" I know there times I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing someone to church because I don't trust that the talks/lessons are going to be a good first experience. One example, back in my YSA ward almost every talk and lesson was about missionary work. Had I invited someone, they would have come only to hear about inviting more people to church.
Curt Sunshine wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 20:54
I love this ^^. In my current ward, as I mentioned in a post earlier, Christ is seldom mentioned. If I brought someone on a regular Sunday, all they would hear is talks and quotes from GAs. Those are all well and good, but if I bring someone to a church that claims to be Christ's church, then I would hope they could see Christ at least talked about in some way.
The "special meeting" was announced by our visiting Area Authority at stake conference last month. When he initially said there would be a special sacrament meeting focused on Christ Dec. 23 I had the same thought you did Paz - shouldn't they all be like that? Then I realized the AA was quoting:
As part of the culmination of “Light the World,” members are encouraged to invite friends and neighbors who aren’t members or who attend infrequently to join them in worshipping the Savior during a special sacrament meeting on December 23, 2018. Ward and branch leaders have been asked to plan a Christ-centered meeting and help guests feel welcome and comfortable.
(December 2018 Ensign)

I've come to recognize that my ward, and to some extent my stake, is actually very good at the Christ centered SM and I do give credit to our SP and bishop for this because it was not like that before.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 11 Dec 2018, 06:42

As part of the culmination of “Light the World,” members are encouraged to invite friends and neighbors who aren’t members or who attend infrequently to join them in worshipping the Savior during a special sacrament meeting on December 23, 2018. Ward and branch leaders have been asked to plan a Christ-centered meeting and help guests feel welcome and comfortable.
I think all the Christmas SMs I've attended have been of the variety where someone reads snippets from Luke 2 followed by either the choir or congregation singing the Christmas hymn that relates to the passage that was read. We work our way down Christ's birth narrative and at the very end the bishop gives a talk on Christ. I prefer this over three assigned talks on Christmas.

If we end up doing the same program we usually do we'd already be in compliance.

The real question... is the 23rd close enough to Christmas to trigger a SM only Sunday? Probably not.

- - - - -

I know that our SP has instructed the leaders of each ward in our stake to remind people giving a talk to focus on Christ. They even received instruction to make sure people hear about Christ at some point during SM, meaning if the speakers don't do it the person conducting should give a short testimony of Christ. It may not always happen but it's on the radar.
It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words, "And this too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!
― Abraham Lincoln