For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
DarkJedi

Re: Wow.

Post by DarkJedi » 30 Sep 2018, 17:26

dande48 wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:51
DarkJedi wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 14:02
My theory is that all psychologists and psychiatrists are themselves a bit nuts.
My personal theory: We're all a bit nuts. Psychologists and psychiatrists just have an easier time recognizing it.
I do not disagree.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 30 Sep 2018, 20:27

There are people of all professions that very effective. There are others that are not.
I hope we are not "painting with a broad brush".
There are members of my family who have used mental health professionals & have received
excellent care.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 30 Sep 2018, 20:30

Every person alive has issues in one way or another. Let's stick to the intent of the original post. :D
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

screwloose

Post by screwloose » 06 Oct 2018, 21:17

Cool, lots of responses! I've tried support groups. All those people are only interested in the next drug they hope will take away their gifts. I thought about telling them what's going on but none of them want to hear it. They want to be cured. I do not. I've heard from facebook groups that there are a tiny percent of schizophrenics that think the way I do. Might be able to answer some of my questions. Mostly I just want to swap stories of our experiences, learn alittle more. I've tried shrinks, they dont work. Mostly educated overly obsessed with themselves, want to lord over the weaker minded of us that they have degrees and you don't. All obsessed with themselves. Oftentimes they do more harm to you than good, and charge you for it.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 Oct 2018, 08:32

DarkJedi wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 17:26
dande48 wrote:
DarkJedi wrote:
My theory is that all psychologists and psychiatrists are themselves a bit nuts.
My personal theory: We're all a bit nuts. Psychologists and psychiatrists just have an easier time recognizing it.
I do not disagree.
On the other hand, maybe that profession has a vested interest in getting us all under their care?

I see modern society as a sickness.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 07 Oct 2018, 09:48

dande48 wrote:
DarkJedi wrote:
I'd agree to a degree. There is a sliding scale of mental health issues we all share...but if they get so unhealthy it impacts relationships, ability to work and provide or have basic life needs taken care of....professional help is needed to come and address extreme destructive behaviors.

Mental health, like physical health, can be a life long effort to stay "in shape" so life can be enjoyed.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 Oct 2018, 10:25

If we asked interior designers about our homes, they'd say they all need to be redesigned. They'd be partly right.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Oct 2018, 12:01

Fwiw, the current counseling standard is to treat symptoms that cause enough distress, in various forms, that life is impacted negatively to such an extent that help is needed to function productively. Some counselors go beyond that, but the standard is solid and admirable.

No significant distress or functional life impact? No counseling necessary.

I support that 100% - and, often, people who have experienced something are able to help others who are experiencing that same thing or related things.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken