Wow.

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
screwloose

Wow.

Post by screwloose » 28 Sep 2018, 01:26

I feel like I've been searching for years and I still cant find just 1 schizophrenic like me to talk to. I'm starting to think I'm the only one. Too many lds hating websites online! I just spent 4 hours searching for any site that remotely talks about the questions I have that only another schizophrenic could answer. Too many different kinds of gifts to track down the exact kind I'm looking for. I dont want support groups. Or the clueless doctors that just throw pills at us and constantly say oh your just hallucinating, here take this you will feel better. I feel totally fine. I'm not sick. I see parts of the spirit world, have a pill for that? Lol! Modern mental doctors make me laugh. They havent got a clue as to what we are. I read their medical papers they spend months or years writing. Coming up with completely wrong conclusions. Still they try. I need a Christian schizophrenic doctor, that a thing? Does it exist?

SamBee

Re: Wow.

Post by SamBee » 28 Sep 2018, 02:31

There used to be a very good LDS counselor here, but the church doesn't use him. Shame because the man was both the best I have come across in general - very perceptive and I mean very - and also got the whole church thing too.

My non-church counselor seems to think I should be sleeping around and that I'm getting exploited by the church.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 28 Sep 2018, 06:57

Are there any support groups in your area?

dande48

Post by dande48 » 28 Sep 2018, 07:19

Lol! Modern mental doctors make me laugh. They havent got a clue as to what we are. I read their medical papers they spend months or years writing. Coming up with completely wrong conclusions. Still they try.
A psychiatrist will do very little good, with someone who feels they have all the answers, who feels they are "smarter", or who won't think they are "sick". What do you hope to accomplish by seeing one?
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Sep 2018, 15:57

There are a lot of therapists and doctors who are Christian and Mormon, but I don't think you will find one who has schizophrenia - for one reason:

The primary symptoms generally would interfere to a degree with acceptance within those professions, since those professions see those symptoms as disorders that need to be controlled. They would see a "risk" of someone going off the medications and having the symptoms be fully active, which would keep all employing organizations from hiring someone in those fields, I am afraid.

I might be wrong, but I don't think you will find a therapist or doctor who has schizophrenia.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 30 Sep 2018, 09:55

Hi Screwloose,

The thread linked below is titled "Miracles have ceased now take your pills". The individual that started the thread felt that people in their life just wanted them to keep quiet and take the medicine. I wonder if reading it might bring you something of what you are looking for.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6680

I know very little about schizophrenia. I believe that sometimes what we call mental illness can have wonderful moments of spirituality, "clarity", and euphoria. I understand that there is usually also a sizable down side that can make normal and stabilizing life tasks difficult (like keeping a job, paying bills, maintaining a household, etc.). In that way, taking medication can be a trade off.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 30 Sep 2018, 13:45

dande48 wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 07:19
Lol! Modern mental doctors make me laugh. They havent got a clue as to what we are. I read their medical papers they spend months or years writing. Coming up with completely wrong conclusions. Still they try.
A psychiatrist will do very little good, with someone who feels they have all the answers, who feels they are "smarter", or who won't think they are "sick". What do you hope to accomplish by seeing one?
It's a bit of a cliché, but shrinks frequently have a few mental health issues themselves. The ones to watch are the authoritarian ones.

They do have a tendency to pander to societal trends, governments and pharmaceutical companies.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 30 Sep 2018, 14:02

SamBee wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 13:45
dande48 wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 07:19
It's a bit of a cliché, but shrinks frequently have a few mental health issues themselves. The ones to watch are the authoritarian ones.

They do have a tendency to pander to societal trends, governments and pharmaceutical companies.
My theory is that all psychologists and psychiatrists are themselves a bit nuts. No offense intended to those on this board who may be in the professions. Full disclosure: my daughter is a psychologist and there's no question she's got issues. That does not mean I don't love or respect her. Likewise, I work daily with psychologists, psychiatrists, licensed social workers, and other professional counselors and also respect them for what they do and what I learn from them. They probably all think I have issues as well.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 30 Sep 2018, 14:55

There are two obvious reasons for it.

Firstly, many get interested in the subject as the result of their own troubles.

Secondly, they are exposed to abnormal psychology on a regular basis so it rubs off.

The old joke is that certain folk.study psychology to gain power over other people, but find out most of the research involves torturing mice.

Bit of an exaggeration but not that far off.

As I was saying to someone today I believe mental illness is rife in western society. I believe the wider environment is party to blame.

The first applies to me. I read a lot about it because of this.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 30 Sep 2018, 16:51

DarkJedi wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 14:02
My theory is that all psychologists and psychiatrists are themselves a bit nuts.
My personal theory: We're all a bit nuts. Psychologists and psychiatrists just have an easier time recognizing it.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket