Why Do You Stay?

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Heber13

Re: Why Do You Stay?

Post by Heber13 » 24 Sep 2018, 15:26

Roy wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 14:23
what matters is that we have offspring and give them the best possible chance of growing to adulthood, happy and well adjusted so that they may in turn do the same for their offspring. Mormonism can be a better than average framework for helping us accomplish that goal.
I agree. :thumbup:
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

screwloose

Post by screwloose » 28 Sep 2018, 01:56

This is the only true church. I'm a very spiritual person. As long as I stay as righteous as possible I'm shielded from evil quite a bit. It still gets through sometimes, torments me for a night. I do battle with the adversary pretty often. He will never break me because I know the truth. Or as much truth as we are allowed to know as mortals. I dont know all the secrets of the universe but I will eventually.

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 24 Oct 2018, 19:47

I never thought I would be in the position that I am in now.

My DW is still fairly TBM. To her, we go because it is true and that is where we are supposed to be. To me I go because I felt something powerful in the beginning that beckoned me to follow, and I did. I have not had that feeling tell me otherwise. I still hold a leadership calling, I look at it more as an organization than gods chosen kingdom. I may have become less black and white in my convictions, and my 'tribe' has become smaller, to the point that I do not advertise my beliefs in the hopes of converting others.

I see the benefit of °all° spiritual learning, and also the benefit and harm of rigidly staying within a tribe.

I have a son when attends with us who is on his own journey and I hope to enable him to avoid some of the pitfalls of ridgiity.

I stay because despite my doubts, there is still value in the tribe.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

PazamaManX

Post by PazamaManX » 30 Nov 2018, 03:32

On my best days, I stay because I have hope. Even though there are many flaws (often created by people) I still believe that this church is the best organization for following Christ.

On my worst days, it's harder to stay but I have yet to find a better alternative.
"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness, even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 30 Nov 2018, 09:10

I stay because:

1. I have great faith in my own ignorance. My life's experiences have produced a certain orientation toward the church. I could be wrong in the way I view the church now. So staying keeps options open. Leaving is final and it makes it hard to get back in.

2. My wife and daughter love the church. I don't want to discourage the good things that are happening in their lives. It brings them peace and happiness. So, why rain on that parade?

3. Occasionally I enjoy the experience.

4. I can't deny the spiritual experiences I've had in the church. They meant something to me, and still do.

5. I don't see other churches as viable alternatives. To me, they are like the non-profit I started a few years ago. They seem to come and go like restaurants do in our town. They aren't much of an alternative to the LDS Church.

6. My recent experiences in the community show that our church is like any other non-profit in the kinds of problems it faces. The need to reconcile temporal and mission-related interests, lack of volunteer commitment, interpersonal conflict -- these things are problematic for all volunteer organizations.

7. Church people are generally nicer people than non-church people, in my experience. There are a lot of great non-church people, but I find the church people's interest in relationships is greater than in non-church people. Please recognizing I'm speaking in averages and trends, not as a blanket statement for all people. There have been some pretty mean church people over my church "career", and there have been some outstanding non-church people throughout my community "career".

8. I have negotiated a middle way in my relationship with the church. Now it doesn't bug me like it used to. I feel in control of my life.

These reasons make staying a better proposition than leaving.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576