Articles of MY faith: "I believe in..."

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
BeJoyful

Articles of MY faith: "I believe in..."

Post by BeJoyful » 06 Aug 2018, 16:41

A few weeks ago, my (TBM) sister challenged me to come up with articles of faith that I ascribe to. Her declared intention has more to do with behavior than belief (she's concerned about no type of 'sin' being off the table unless I declare I have a rule against it), but I think that it is a great exercise. I'm working on mine now, with words like "hope" "believe" and "know"- but I'm very curious to know if people in this forum have completed an exercise like this. Would any of you be willing to share your 'articles'?

I've done a few searches, but haven't found a thread on this. If there are any good threads I should look at, please share links! Thanks!

AmyJ

Re: Articles of MY faith: "I believe in..."

Post by AmyJ » 07 Aug 2018, 06:21

I took a shot at it.

1. I choose to believe there is a God. I don’t feel qualified to define whether it is 1 or more individuals on the same team – I don’t define those individuals by composition (body vs spirit) or gender. I respect that religions attempt to define the nature of God and regularly get stymied in a variety of ways. I see “God” more of a title or a group identifier that I choose to define as “a power greater than humanity that bears no malice towards humanity”.
2. I believe that “Charity never fails”. I also believe that the principle of Charity and the principle of Boundaries are 2 sides of the same coin.
3. I believe in being responsible in and to my community. That is why I teach my children, why I go to church, why my marriage is important to me, and why I am employed. It also explains why I try to recycle and don’t break the laws of the land (except for speeding – sometimes).
4. I believe that a person’s perception shapes their reality. I also believe that a person’s reality is influenced largely by genetics, gender, life experiences, and life habits. For me, I don’t drink mostly because I recognize that my genetics predispose my body towards addiction – and I don’t want to deal with those consequences.
5. I believe in expecting paradoxes.
6. I hope for revelation. My greater hope is that I will be able to solidly identify true personal revelations vs my own hopes/fears/dreams. I hope that if I am way out of line that God will correct me in a way that I can understand and complete.
7. I believe in being comfortable enough to make ethical decisions in the absence of revelation. Part of becoming an “Adult of God” is making individual moral choices and living with the consequences.
8. I believe that I owe something to the rest of the universe to be a moral person. For example, I owe it to my husband not to cheat on him because we are married, and he is super important to me. I trust that the rest of the universe owes me certain obligations (such as personal safety), but I also accept the paradox that I need to do my part to set up the circumstances to achieve that (don't go looking for trouble) as an additional hedge-betting precaution.

I also believe that "42" is sometimes the right answer :D

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow » 07 Aug 2018, 08:08

I went through a similar exercise a few years ago, and found it to be very therapeutic! I posted my personal articles of faith in the following post:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7013&p=98020&hilit=articles#p98020
I found it really helpful to be able to transition away from the mentality of "We believe..." and really dive into what "I believe..."
Good luck!
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 07 Aug 2018, 13:43

I start with this premise: What we believe in is much more important than what we believe.

With that in mind, I follow the ideals that I believe in. It starts with trying as hard as I can to follow the Golden Rule.

Golden Rule (Christianity): "In everything do to others as you would have them do to you;. (Matt 7:12 NSRV)"

Golden Rule (Hinduism): "One should never do that to another which one regards as injurious to one’s own self. (Anusasana Parva, Section CXIII, Verse 8)"

Golden Rule (Islam): "Woe to those... who, when they have to receive by measure from men, they demand exact full measure, but when they have to give by measure or weight to men, give less than due. (Surah 83)"

Golden Rule (Buddhism): "One who, while himself seeking happiness, oppresses with violence other beings who also desire happiness, will not attain happiness hereafter. (Dharmmapada 10)"

(personally, I like the Christian version, above, best since it is expressed in positive terms, while the others are prohibitions - but the message is clearly universal).
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

BeJoyful

Post by BeJoyful » 20 Aug 2018, 19:05

Sorry it's been so long since I posted- thank you for your responses! I love love love all of them. I'll jump on my computer tomorrow and address each more directly, plus contribute my own.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk