Cool conference talk

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Gerald

Cool conference talk

Post by Gerald » 29 Jul 2018, 05:31

I was just browsing lds.org and came across this talk by Sterling W. Sill. It blew me away and made me wonder if such a talk would be given today (I suspect not...which is kind of a pity).

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

Heber13

Re: Cool conference talk

Post by Heber13 » 29 Jul 2018, 10:02

Great talk...thanks for sharing.

I listened to the audio while reading...and one thing is for sure...a talk wouldn't be given like that today that is so different from the text. Haha. Maybe in 78 they didn't have good technology for teleprompters...he talks from the heart.

I don't think they would let him say this today...
It has been said that the poets stand next to the prophets in their ability to lift us up. I have never heard of Eliza R. Snow being sustained as a prophet, and yet she wrote “O My Father.”
It's a good thought...poets and wise writers can be up there with prophets in teaching us the truths of this world, and acedemics and psychologists have good things to offer us, and quoted in GC...that becomes scripture to us, yes?

Good thoughts for today. Thanks.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 29 Jul 2018, 12:41

I strongly believe it is poetry, and not truth, that brings the feelings of the Spirit.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 30 Jul 2018, 06:54

President Uchtdorf and others have mentioned the power of nature rivaling the power of the temple when it comes to feeling close to God.

I agree this was a wonderful talk, but we tend to hear what we tend to hear. This talk actually isn't unique and singular. There have been others that said much the same thing.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 30 Jul 2018, 10:26

One of the most cool things about you finding this talk is that you can use it as sanctioned scripture in class, in talks you give, in how you teach your family.

Own this one. Maybe as you share it other's will be blessed.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman