Authority - Matthew 21:23-27

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Roy

Re: Authority - Matthew 21:23-27

Post by Roy » 02 Jul 2018, 10:42

Thank you for your thoughts Heber. The dark night of the soul can be it's own sort of refiner's fire and I know that we have both been through dark patches. One of the results of my experience has been an increased level of tolerance, compassion, and acceptance for people that may do or feel things differently than I do. In a way, I find myself reborn to new perspectives - new "eyes". :wtf: (that is a representation of my new eyes :lol: )
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 02 Jul 2018, 11:03

Roy wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 10:42
new "eyes". (that is a representation of my new eyes )
your left eye looks stronger than your right! :lol:

I'd say with age (and the refiners fire you mentioned)...my eyesight is going on me. Most stuff is blurry now. Not because the world changed and became blurry...but because my eyes just can't focus, and I don't believe that is because of sin or not eating enough carrots. It simply is life. It happens as we age.

Now ...my "new eyes" need help...and often a change in prescriptions from time to time...more like this... :geek:

:angel:

My current set of specs tell me authority is over-rated in the church. Love is under-rated. I'll wear those spectacles for a while until I see a need to switch them out.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 02 Jul 2018, 11:06

Heber13 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 10:23
In the end, I don't know what authority and ordinance work get us, because we have to create so many excuses and loopholes to cover when it does nothing. The best it gets us is the "holy spirit of promise"...the idea that we commit and promise in hopes of being an eternal family...and that binds people together who share those hopes.

Church bring people together to bind us together to a cause we hope for. But...we won't really see material proof any of it is worth it, except our feelings. Nor will we see much difference from the other congregations in the community doing the same thing.
This...
Heber13 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 10:23
Maybe someone can better explain to me why authority matters at all. I see love matters. And that goes across any authority or group. Kind of like how priesthood blessings require authority...unless you are a pioneer woman with an ox stuck and decide to do blessings that work and you see the authority didn't really matter after all.
This...