Alan Watts

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
DarkJedi

Re: Alan Watts

Post by DarkJedi » 25 Jun 2018, 12:43

Heber13 wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 07:44
I'm a huge C&H fan. Thanks for that!!

It's actually a very good response...I'll take it anyway...because...we are here, now.
I am also a Calvin & Hobbes fan. But most of the members I know are more like Calvin in this case - doing what they're doing only because of the reward.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 25 Jun 2018, 12:54

DarkJedi wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 12:43
Heber13 wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 07:44
I'm a huge C&H fan. Thanks for that!!

It's actually a very good response...I'll take it anyway...because...we are here, now.
I am also a Calvin & Hobbes fan. But most of the members I know are more like Calvin in this case - doing what they're doing only because of the reward.
Hmm... it's only just dawned on me that they're named after philosophers - well, theologian in Calvin's case.
Last edited by SamBee on 25 Jun 2018, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 25 Jun 2018, 13:38

DarkJedi wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 12:43
IMHO, I think most members "think" that... I've heard too many times (and said it a few times myself) that without my testimony of the Church, I don't know where I'd be, but I'd be quite the terrible person. It gets implied that our belief in God and the afterlife is all that is keeping us moral. But what surprised me, was after going through my faith crisis, my morality stayed roughly the same, though my reasons are more fundamental; good for the sake of being good. Service for the sake of helping others. Etc. I think most members who are banking on the next life to "make everything right" would still be good people even if they lost faith in their eternal rewards.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 25 Jun 2018, 15:32

I agree, Dande, and my experience is similar to yours in that my morality has stayed essentially the same. Of course that's really because of things we somehow learned before we can remember learning anything but it is what it is. I didn't mean to imply that those who pay tithing as fire insurance or are otherwise trying to buy their stairway to heaven are cursed or will be worse off than anyone else. I think we're all going to be very surprised in the next life (if there is one).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 25 Jun 2018, 19:42

Calvin & Hobbs is pure genius. It is the funniest deeply philosophical and sophisticated comic series I have seen. I used it in class when I taught high school history and we got to the Enlightenment. I gave them extra credit for being able to explain the philosophy behind the individual comic strips. The students understood that time period much better than they would have without the connection.

I did the same thing with some of the Far Side images. Pure genius.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 26 Jun 2018, 10:33

dande48 wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 13:38
I think most members who are banking on the next life to "make everything right" would still be good people even if they lost faith in their eternal rewards.
I totally agree with you. Deep down there is more to us than just what church taught us. We have some inherent and divine worth (and a mix of other stuff). I think church teachings help reflect what is already in us...not define what we are. Like you said...for most people...take away the church and the person is still there, mostly the same.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 26 Jun 2018, 15:20

It depends on what life they would have had otherwise, including what they would have been taught.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 26 Jun 2018, 17:24

'Your rewards in heaven'

Sometimes we think that if something is not righted in this life that it will be corrected or justified in the next life, so we don't do anything about it. The thought of a perfected future causes inaction today.

And on the otherhand the basis of an afterlife affects society as a whole for the better.

C&H is awesome. I'm still partial to Bloom County being the greatest comic strip ever.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 04 Jul 2018, 21:23

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.