Ideas for lesson? Help!

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Ideas for lesson? Help!

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 May 2018, 16:33

My two cents:

We serve women best by not assuming we know how to serve "women" (plural) best. We serve each woman best by asking her how she wants to be served.

We serve women best by helping each woman be whomever she wants to be as an individual - not whom we want her to be.

We serve women best by seeing them as equals in every way and by being equal partners in word and deed.

We serve women best by accepting their adaptations of the generalized roles in the Proclamation to the World to fit their own situations and not pigeon-holing them into generalized stereotypes.

We serve women best by understanding that the root of "virtue" is "strength" (as described in Proverbs) - and by not hindering their development of any strength they want to gain.

We serve women best by not putting them on stereotyped pedestals that only deepen their sense of failure when they can't live up to the accompanying expectations of perfection.

We serve women best by not patronizing them in any way, including accepting that we might be wrong in our assumptions of how to serve them best.

We serve women best by sharing in (or even doing) all of the traditional domestic duties, so they don't carry the entire burden on their own.

In short, we serve women best the same way we serve men best. We accept and serve them as themselves, unconditionally in word and deed.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Only Love

Post by Only Love » 26 May 2018, 18:30

Heber13 wrote:
12 May 2018, 21:23
Curt Sunshine wrote:
12 May 2018, 16:06
I think the essay would be a good way to frame either DJ's quotes or my comment, as well.
Thanks for these. I was told to pick a topic, and pray for inspiration. I wanted to do the essay, not be controversial, but to be honest...that was in the Ensign and my son and I discussed it this week...he hadn't heard much about it before (he is 15) and didn't know how to talk to kids at school about it.

It was what I wanted to go with.

But..after praying...the thought came to me I would be doing a disservice to the priesthood body if we did not talk about Motherhood.

But having the essays in mind...I shall switch to another essay topic:

Mother in Heaven
Susa Young Gates, a prominent leader in the Church, wrote in 1920 that Joseph Smith’s visions and teachings revealed the truth that “the divine Mother, [is] side by side with the divine Father.” And in “The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” issued in 1995, the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles declared, “Each [person] is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny.”
Perhaps there are ways I can tie into how we serve and minister to our mothers, wives, and women in our lives, not in telestial or terrestrial ways, but celestial as the other quotes talked about true ministry and service.
How did your lesson go, Heber13? (Sorry, I just saw this thread for the first time.) I LOVE that you decided to teach on this! I don't know about your ward, but my ward very rarely talks about anything "controversial" (still don't understand why Heavenly Mother is treated as controversial, but whatever) and I have been nervous as I have included Her in several of my Relief Society lessons so I would be very interested to hear what your experience was.

Curt Sunshine wrote:
14 May 2018, 16:33
My two cents:

We serve women best by not assuming we know how to serve "women" (plural) best. We serve each woman best by asking her how she wants to be served.

We serve women best by helping each woman be whomever she wants to be as an individual - not whom we want her to be.

We serve women best by seeing them as equals in every way and by being equal partners in word and deed.

We serve women best by accepting their adaptations of the generalized roles in the Proclamation to the World to fit their own situations and not pigeon-holing them into generalized stereotypes.

We serve women best by understanding that the root of "virtue" is "strength" (as described in Proverbs) - and by not hindering their development of any strength they want to gain.

We serve women best by not putting them on stereotyped pedestals that only deepen their sense of failure when they can't live up to the accompanying expectations of perfection.

We serve women best by not patronizing them in any way, including accepting that we might be wrong in our assumptions of how to serve them best.

We serve women best by sharing in (or even doing) all of the traditional domestic duties, so they don't carry the entire burden on their own.

In short, we serve women best the same way we serve men best. We accept and serve them as themselves, unconditionally in word and deed.
:clap: Yes! This is well-written. Thanks, Curt Sunshine.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 01 Jun 2018, 16:24

Only Love wrote:
26 May 2018, 18:30
How did your lesson go, Heber13?
It went pretty good. 2 people afterwards came and shook my hand and thanked me for the lesson. Again, it was focused on mothers for mother's day and ministering to our wives and important women in our lives (including those in our ward who need our service). The tie in to Heavenly Mother was easy, seamless to the topic and very natural.

I used my laptop to plug in to a TV screen, and show everyone how to navigate to LDS.org, and the Gospel Topics Essays (I believe in the past few weeks they've changed LDS.org and these essays come up under searches for gospel topics, but are no longer a list of "essays"...I think it's changed just recently...anyone else notice that?). I also showed those who use the App on phones or tablets to find the gospel topics essays in Gospel Library app (still under "Church History" as Gospel Topics Essays on the app).

By the fumbling of navigation...I could tell many had never seen these, although none seemed to care...it was in the approved church tools and that was fine by them.

The topic of Heavenly Mother was easily discussed, without any controversy. Everyone believes in her.
as the hymn “O My Father.” This text declares: “In the heav’ns are parents single? / No, the thought makes reason stare; / Truth is reason—truth eternal / Tells me I’ve a mother there.”
Most of the men that lifted their hands and made comments acknowledged their wives help them be better men, and want to follow their examples of how they minister to members of the ward, and did so in respectful tones, not placations.

I find when I speak of Heavenly Mother matter-of-factly and in proper context...I get no push back from anyone.
Only Love wrote:
26 May 2018, 18:30
I have been nervous as I have included Her in several of my Relief Society lessons so I would be very interested to hear what your experience was.
I would not be too nervous. Throw it out there as some questions for people to think about and respond. I think we can be comfortable it is in our doctrine and we have multiple quotes by church leaders about it. Perhaps it is "how" you throw the topic out there, not the topic itself. Also...you might find many people appreciate the attempt, so lessons aren't so plain vanilla for fear of ruffling a few feathers that may need to be ruffled.

Clearly, as nibbler has taught me, it varies greatly by ward. My ward seems to be fine, and even have an appetite, for down to earth discussions rather than pretentious righteous talk. We've got some back woods members.

You never know until you test the waters. Do it! (maybe pray before you do like I did...and see if you feel good about the approach you have in your mind.)
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."