Ideas for lesson? Help!

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Heber13

Ideas for lesson? Help!

Post by Heber13 » 12 May 2018, 08:07

Just got an email last night...
You want to teach priesthood this Sunday?You could teach on ministering or anything you feel inspired to.
Ok...so.? Anyone wanna share a lesson you gave recently I can use? Or any ideas?

Anything you wish you could hear about at church?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Heber13

Re: Ideas for lesson? Help!

Post by Heber13 » 12 May 2018, 08:46

From the thread on the June 2018 ensign on race....
nibbler wrote:The essay on race and the priesthood states:
Today, the Church disavows the theories advanced in the past that black skin is a sign of divine disfavor or curse, or that it reflects unrighteous actions in a premortal life; that mixed-race marriages are a sin; or that blacks or people of any other race or ethnicity are inferior in any way to anyone else. Church leaders today unequivocally condemn all racism, past and present, in any form.
But we've been too busy rehashing the same lessons written 20 years ago to ever cover something recent/relevant. At least that's been my experience, that so far we haven't covered essay #1 in my corner of the vineyard. I bet most members of the church have never heard the paragraph quoted above. Why would we expect the culture to change, for people to stop advancing the theories and biases to the next generation if we spend no time at all educating members and discussing the topic?
Perhaps the essay on race and the priesthood should be my lesson material?

Roy said in that thread
Roy wrote:The essay itself spends a lot of time describing the racist environment of the time. "At the time, many people of African descent lived in slavery, and racial distinctions and prejudice were not just common but customary among white Americans. Those realities, though unfamiliar and disturbing today, influenced all aspects of people’s lives, including their religion." and then at the end we read "Church leaders today unequivocally condemn all racism, past and present, in any form." We, the reader, must somewhat read between the lines to understand that the priesthood restriction was racist, was not of God, and is condemned by the church leaders today.

My question, would the article still have been chosen for publication in the ensign if she had said "I understand that past church leadership implemented and maintained the ban because they grew up in a racist time and those prejudices bled over into their religious lives.
What if I break out of passive voice and call it what it is and see where the class discussion goes?

I don't have to agree with everyone in class or have them all see it like I do. But...it might be nice to have a discussion in church about it...out in the open.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 12 May 2018, 11:27

I'm usually more hesitant to rock the boat in Church.

But DO IT, Heber.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 12 May 2018, 11:34

A very controversial lesson about any of the essays (race and the priesthood would be a good one right now) might teach your EQP a lesson about straying from the curriculum. From another point of view, maybe he's straying and giving you free reign because he doesn't agree with the curriculum.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 12 May 2018, 13:48

I think the essay would be a perfect lesson given this upcoming Church event, which may actually reference it:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8917

https://www.lds.org/church/events/world ... n?lang=eng
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 May 2018, 16:04

From Dark Jedi in a thread last December:
Monson quotes:
Often small acts of service are all that is required to lift and bless another: a question concerning a person’s family, quick words of encouragement, a sincere compliment, a small note of thanks, a brief telephone call. If we are observant and aware, and if we act on the promptings which come to us, we can accomplish much good.
(Oct. 2007)
“Love is expressed in many recognizable ways: a smile, a wave, a kind comment, a compliment. Other expressions may be more subtle, such as showing interest in another’s activities, teaching a principle with kindness and patience, visiting one who is ill or homebound. These words and actions and many others can communicate love.”
(April 2014)
I also really like this quote and have used parts of it many times.
We cannot truly love God if we do not love our fellow travelers on this mortal journey. Likewise, we cannot fully love our fellowmen if we do not love God, the Father of us all. The Apostle John tells us, “This commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.”3 We are all spirit children of our Heavenly Father and, as such, are brothers and sisters. As we keep this truth in mind, loving all of God’s children will become easier.

Actually, love is the very essence of the gospel, and Jesus Christ is our Exemplar. His life was a legacy of love. The sick He healed; the downtrodden He lifted; the sinner He saved. At the end the angry mob took His life. And yet there rings from Golgotha’s hill the words: “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do”4—a crowning expression in mortality of compassion and love.

There are many attributes which are manifestations of love, such as kindness, patience, selflessness, understanding, and forgiveness. In all our associations, these and other such attributes will help make evident the love in our hearts.

Usually, our love will be shown in our day-to-day interactions one with another. All important will be our ability to recognize someone’s need and then to respond.

(Also April 2014)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 May 2018, 16:05

From the same thread:
I have used the analogy of the three degrees of service:

1) telestial (serving only those we love or who are "our own" in some way);

2) terrestrial (serving those whom we see as good people [or who are suffering from a natural disaster that we see as not their fault] and, therefore, are easy to serve);

3) celestial (serving those we see as bad people or people doing bad things - people whom we naturally avoid).

I occasionally point out that we, as a collective people, are fabulous at telestial service, pretty good at terrestrial service, and quite bad at celestial service - but you don't have to go that far as bluntly as I sometimes do.

The end of Matthew 5 is perfect as a lead-in, as is the quote DJ shared
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 May 2018, 16:06

I think the essay would be a good way to frame either DJ's quotes or my comment, as well.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 12 May 2018, 21:00

DarkJedi wrote:
12 May 2018, 11:34
A very controversial lesson about any of the essays (race and the priesthood would be a good one right now) might teach your EQP a lesson about straying from the curriculum. From another point of view, maybe he's straying and giving you free reign because he doesn't agree with the curriculum.
...or teach them to not ask me to teach anymore...also not a bad thing. ;)

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 12 May 2018, 21:23

Curt Sunshine wrote:
12 May 2018, 16:06
I think the essay would be a good way to frame either DJ's quotes or my comment, as well.
Thanks for these. I was told to pick a topic, and pray for inspiration. I wanted to do the essay, not be controversial, but to be honest...that was in the Ensign and my son and I discussed it this week...he hadn't heard much about it before (he is 15) and didn't know how to talk to kids at school about it.

It was what I wanted to go with.

But..after praying...the thought came to me I would be doing a disservice to the priesthood body if we did not talk about Motherhood.

But having the essays in mind...I shall switch to another essay topic:

Mother in Heaven
Susa Young Gates, a prominent leader in the Church, wrote in 1920 that Joseph Smith’s visions and teachings revealed the truth that “the divine Mother, [is] side by side with the divine Father.” And in “The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” issued in 1995, the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles declared, “Each [person] is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny.”
Perhaps there are ways I can tie into how we serve and minister to our mothers, wives, and women in our lives, not in telestial or terrestrial ways, but celestial as the other quotes talked about true ministry and service.