Work And Glory of God

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Work And Glory of God

Post by AmyJ » 02 May 2018, 06:44

"For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." Moses 1:39
Assuming that God exists and that His/Their "work and glory" or primary focus of what being God is about is to make us immortal and grant us eternal life:
1. What does this scripture mean to you personally?
2. What are you doing to help God to bring about your personal immortality?
3. What are you doing to help God bring about your personal eternal life?

For me, I want to include a belief in an afterlife as part of my faith narrative. I also realize that hedging my bets in this area is a good idea, and I have a better understanding of why people build and leave behind a specific legacy after they pass on. To me, it seems that part of believing in being immortal at some point helps balance the focus beyond this world and worldly cares at times.

I don't know how I am helping God bring about my personal eternal life. I think I have entered a personal era where I focus on examining why I do what I do, and striving to "trade up" in my activities. I am learning to interpret the best practices of "doing things" to "become" the best person I can be. I am striving to learn which statements/expectations about God and the work of God are actual communications from God, commandments, points of doctrine, and/or cultural practices.

nibbler

Re: Work And Glory of God

Post by nibbler » 02 May 2018, 08:37

AmyJ wrote:
02 May 2018, 06:44

If you're only going by what the one verse says, it sounds like it's god's work. Our church teachings lean heavily towards focusing on works. Could that influence how we interpret the verse? Are we inferring that god needs our help because we have placed expectations on ourselves to do certain works (ordinances, callings, being as obedient as we can possibly be, etc.)?

Just seeking clarification.

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 02 May 2018, 08:45

Actually, I was going off of the assumption that the main focus of God is worthy for us to focus on as well.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 02 May 2018, 08:55

Are there certain things that only gods can do?

dande48

Post by dande48 » 02 May 2018, 08:59

Back in my TBM days, I would've said it meant that all God does is directed as us and our eternal happiness. Now, I think that's too much hubris, being a single species who has only been around a short time, on a tiny spec, in a star system, on the outskirts of a small galaxy. There was going on before mankind, and will be a lot going on after, that just has nothing to do with us. The universe doesn't revolve around my species, and I'm okay with that.
AmyJ wrote:
02 May 2018, 06:44

2. According to the Church, we're all going to be resurrected as immortals whether we'd like it or not. But in my personal belief, immortality is carried on in our children and in future generations. I need to do the best I can to keep the earth clean and habitable, teach my kids how to live happy, contribute to society, toss around some interesting ideas, and die without too much fuss.

3. According to the Church, eternal life is being in the presence of God. I agree with that. But while the Church teaches that doesn't happen until the next life, I feel I'm in His presence every day. I'd say it's all about appreciating the little things... the taste of food, the grass between my toes... It's about seeing God in everything around you, and appreciating the part you get to play in it.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 02 May 2018, 09:22

I do have a direction I'm going... I think. I also think it's in an entirely different direction, so feel free to ignore.

I remember the hasten the work initiative. Great, now they've got me saying it every few days.
Behold, I will hasten my work in its time.
The verse says it plain as day, "I will..." but when the verse was presented to the body of the church it took on a very different feel.
Behold, you need to hasten my work right now.
Questions 2 & 3 triggered that response in me. God says it's his work, we apply the church filter, presto change-o, now it's my work too. :thumbup:

But I'm so full of questions. What is immortality? What is eternal life? Could I even help a divine being achieve those things? Did god want me to help in that initiative or was it just a declaration meant to convey love and concern? I'd flip the questions:

How is god bringing about my immortality?
How is god bringing about my eternal life?

God said he would. How is that working out for me? Do I notice?

But I get another side of the discussion as well.
nibbler wrote:
02 May 2018, 08:55
Are there certain things that only gods can do?
We have the concept of the Atonement in our teachings. The Atonement could only be carried out by Jesus, a half man, half god, someone that is sinless and represents spotless perfection. We teach that Jesus was the only person that could do it. In that light we could beat ourselves silly trying to make that our life's goal... it's unattainable but only because of the barriers we've set up around the Atonement. Perhaps the church answer is that we focus on the Atonement by repenting but what if we erased the barriers and made it something that anyone could do?

You don't have to be perfect, you've only got to reach out and try to heal other people that are suffering physically and spiritually. Maybe orthodox people would find it acceptable to say that we carry out a lower case "a" atonement.

For all I know, that's the process of becoming a god. Erasing the boundaries that tell us god is in a unique position to do and getting out there and doing.

- - -

I've got at least one foot in dande48's camp. We're living an eternal life right now.