Don't Try To Push the River

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Don't Try To Push the River

Post by Curt Sunshine » 02 Apr 2018, 17:08

Don't try to push the river. The river is flowing nicely on its own. - Kathryn Yarborough

I think one interpretation of this is that we need to understand what we are capable of doing and what is out of our control or unable to be influenced - and focus our efforts on what we can control or influence.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Re: Don't Try To Push the River

Post by mom3 » 02 Apr 2018, 20:58

My river would like to pull over for a rest.

Nice quote.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SilentDawning

Re: Don't Try To Push the River

Post by SilentDawning » 02 Apr 2018, 23:11

Curt Sunshine wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 17:08
Don't try to push the river. The river is flowing nicely on its own. - Kathryn Yarborough

I think one interpretation of this is that we need to understand what we are capable of doing and what is out of our control or unable to be influenced - and focus our efforts on what we can control or influence.
I wrote a song called "Don't Push the River" years ago. That phrase has a lot of meaning to me.

For me, it's about not forcing people to do things they don't want to do. It's about not changing people from who they are innately.

My wife, for example, will always be what she will be. No end of rationalizing, pleading, begging, explaining, trying to convince will change who she is. 25 years of marriage have taught me that.

It's better to find the rivers that flow in the direction you need, and then put your canoe in it. It'll take you where you want to go without any forcing on your part.

My ability to delegate effectively has gone up dramatically since I learned that principle. I know who to ask to do what, what not to try to accomplish (due to the river of church culture, personality, policy) flowing in a different direction. I've learned to identify flows and use them for good.

When all rivers flow in a direction I don't want, it's time to see new territory.....with new rivers.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576