Losing faith in things that deceive

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Jordan

Losing faith in things that deceive

Post by Jordan » 06 Oct 2009, 19:55

"In order to be prepared to hope in what does not deceive, we must first lose hope in everything that deceives."

Georges Bernanos

Bill Atkinson

Re: Losing faith in things that deceive

Post by Bill Atkinson » 07 Oct 2009, 07:10

Interesting Jordon, there is a bit of Job coming out in that quote since one way of looking at the book is to see that almost all of the measures of "human success" --- family, posterity, land, riches etc. ---- can be lost but the righteous person will still stand on their faith in spite of its costs. Lets not get into, by the way, a discussion of whether Job is real or not (I can feel MisterCurie getting his fingers warmed up as he reads this :) ) but rather consider why the people who returned from the Babylonian exile (and who we can finally say are Jews) canonized the book of Job and consider how it fucntioned for their community in helping to explain the exile and destruction and then demand of the people that they have faith in God no matter what comes.

Anyway, neat quote.
All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness.
Ernest Ludwig Kirchner

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 07 Oct 2009, 15:18

So true.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Rix

Post by Rix » 13 Oct 2009, 15:03

Jordan wrote:"In order to be prepared to hope in what does not deceive, we must first lose hope in everything that deceives."

Georges Bernanos
VERY powerful...and deep! Thanks for the quote!
:)
Überzeugungen sind oft die gefährlichsten Feinde der Wahrheit.
[Certainty (that one is correct) is often the most dangerous enemy of the
truth.] - Friedrich Nietzsche

God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that. -- Joseph Campbell