Mormon

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Mormon

Post by AmyJ » 15 Mar 2018, 14:29

We were asked to read Mormon 1-9 this week. Here are some parts that I found interesting in Mormon's decision to lead his people, to step down from leading his people, and then a resurgence in his commitment to lead his people.
Mormon 3:12-13
Behold, I had led them, notwithstanding their wickedness I had led them many times to battle, and had loved them, according to the love of God which was in me, with all my heart; and my soul had been poured out in prayer unto my God all the day long for them; nevertheless, it was without faith, because of the hardness of their hearts. And a thrice have I delivered them out of the hands of their enemies, and they have repented not of their sins.
We can love others even when they make dumb decisions and sin. While Mormon wishes the story was different, that his prayers would touch their hearts and bring about miracles, Mormon doesn't make that a condition of his leadership or love.
Mormon 3:14-15
And when they had sworn by all that had been forbidden them by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, that they would go up unto their enemies to battle, and avenge themselves of the blood of their brethren, behold the voice of the Lord came unto me, saying: Vengeance is mine, and I will repay; and because this people repented not after I had delivered them, behold, they shall be cut off from the face of the earth.
Here is Mormon setting a boundary based on his understanding of God's feeling towards this people.
Mormon 5:1-2, 6-7
And it came to pass that I did go forth among the Nephites, and did repent of the oath which I had made that I would no more assist them; and they gave me command again of their armies, for they looked upon me as though I could deliver them from their afflictions. But behold, I was without hope, for I knew the judgments of the Lord which should come upon them; for they repented not of their iniquities, but did struggle for their lives without calling upon that Being who created them.

...and we did stand against them boldly; but it was all in vain, for so a great were their numbers that they did tread the people of the Nephites under their feet.
And it came to pass that we did again take to flight, and those whose flight was swifter than the Lamanites’ did escape, and those whose flight did not exceed the Lamanites’ were swept down and destroyed.
I don't think we are ever told what changed God's mind and why Mormon felt compelled to come back. But when Mormon came back, he was "all in" for assisting his people. When he saw the inevitable, he wrote to the king of the Lamanites trying to set up the best place for battle. (Mormon 6:2).
Mormon 8:2-3
"And now it came to pass that after the great and tremendous battle at Cumorah, behold, the Nephites who had escaped into the country southward were hunted by the Lamanites, until they were all destroyed. And my father also was killed by them..."
I see vast reservoirs of compassion and charity through Mormon's actions. There are many things I may not agree with Mormon with when he was summarizing the historical records - but he truly "laid down his life for his friends".

If I were to create a headstone for his grave, this is what I would write:

"Mormon - Son of Mormon"
Christian * General * Historian * Loving Friend
Last edited by AmyJ on 16 Mar 2018, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.

mom3

Re: Mormon

Post by mom3 » 15 Mar 2018, 15:15

Mormon the 2nd, as I like to call him, is one of my favorites. He never gets much air time. I love the passages you chose.

I also wonder about Mrs. Mormon or Moroni's Mom. Naturally she gets nothing - but for me she had to be as amazing as him. No one can undermine my belief.

I remember reading where Joseph Smith defined the word Mormon as meaning "More Good". Whether it's right or not, this Mormon portray's it.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman