True Forgiveness

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

True Forgiveness

Post by Curt Sunshine » 03 Feb 2018, 13:22

“Everyone says forgiveness is a lovely idea, until they have something to forgive.”
(C. S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity, p. 89)

This is a powerful quote that is worth personal contemplation.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Re: True Forgiveness

Post by DarkJedi » 03 Feb 2018, 14:31

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Love it, and it's absolutely correct. Ol' Clive hit it on the head again. What most people want is mercy for themselves and justice for everyone else while not really understanding what justice means (it's much more related to fairness than punishment, BTW). Are we going to be shocked when we find Hitler or Manson in the CK? We shouldn't be.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 03 Feb 2018, 15:59

And then . . . It feels impossible.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 26 Mar 2018, 08:39

For me true forgiveness is elusive. I don't know where to find it or how to get it. The Bible in the church tries to teach principles for how to get it, but if you fail, it's your own fault. And then there is self loathing that you were worse than the sinner. None of that helps. But Time dulls the memory in the heart. But those moments stay with you for the longest time. I do think that adjusting your life in the light of what you learned through the traumatic experience has some value in increasing your overall level of peace. That is been my experience as a disaffected Mormon. As a disaffected, Wounded Mormon, avoid the hurtful situations, find new pastures where those memories are not triggered. Do your best to live your life in the search of peace. And let time take care of the healing.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Roy

Post by Roy » 26 Mar 2018, 09:03

SD, I believe one of the most feeing elements of "forgiveness" is the ability to move on.

If you have found techniques that have allowed you to move forward and not be overly tied to past offenses, I would count that as a win. :thumbup:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 26 Mar 2018, 09:15

As someone helping a friend through a divorce, I can completely sympathize!

I've seen some quite unpleasant things today... urgh.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 04 Apr 2018, 16:44

Forgiving, getting taken advantage of, walked on, trusting, opening up again, loving; it's been a long road to figure out.

I at times was easy to forgive others and way too easy to trust others. I found these two weren't the same.

I heard a quote recently and it helped me navigate;
Forgiveness does not equate to a relationship
I can and will forgive, but that does not mean that I must trust or allow someone into my life. I've dealt with too many manipulators over the years. Sorry if I'm a little bitter :)

I have found the peace of forgiveness that comes by letting things go, and it's amazing.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 04 Apr 2018, 16:48

Thanks for this post. I think I read this on this forum and it has helped me: Sometimes the person we have to forgive is God.

Also for me forgiveness means learning to set boundaries which is along the lines of what others have said.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 04 Apr 2018, 17:45

Roadrunner wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 16:48
Thanks for this post. I think I read this on this forum and it has helped me: Sometimes the person we have to forgive is God.

Also for me forgiveness means learning to set boundaries which is along the lines of what others have said.
If you have ever read the book, "why bad things happen to good people" you will recognize that same theme - learn to forgive God.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Apr 2018, 05:34

Roadrunner wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 16:48

I spent several years being mad at God for something it turned out God had nothing to do with - at least the God I now recognize had nothing to do with it. I agree, being able to let that go and/or forgive God was key to my own healing.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction