Favorite 2nd Half BoM Principles (Alma 30 - Moroni 10)

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Favorite 2nd Half BoM Principles (Alma 30 - Moroni 10)

Post by AmyJ » 29 Jan 2018, 14:45

As part of the Pathways class, I get to share 10 principles I have learned from the Book of Mormon (Alma 30 - Moroni 10).

I have 2 months to come up with 4 more principles (I am only through Helaman 9) - and I can do it.

But there is nothing that says I can't ask you wonderful folks for ideas and then adapt them into my own narrative... :P

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Favorite 2nd Half BoM Principles (Alma 30 - Moroni 10)

Post by Curt Sunshine » 29 Jan 2018, 18:16

A central part of Zion is a lack of "-ites".
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 30 Jan 2018, 06:31

Curt,
I think you are on to something. I practically had to make a flow chart diagram to chart all the different groups in Mosaiah and again in late Alma/early Helaman.

It seems that there is a struggle for integration whenever there is a) a mass baptism event and/or b) an influence of refugees/settlers mentioned in the Book of Mormon.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 30 Jan 2018, 10:38

Third Nephi 18 is loaded with "commandments" to not cast anyone out. Believers or non-believers.

Of course the exhortations on Charity.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

dande48

Post by dande48 » 30 Jan 2018, 19:43

• Corianton - Don't write another's sins in stone. Especially your own son, lest he board a ship and sail away to Tonga.
  • Captain Moroni - Even perfect prophets make mistakes in their prophecy and judgement (as he did with Pahoran).
  • Samuel the Lamanite - Sometimes you don't remember how important something is, until God specifically tells you to write it down (30+ years later).
  • Samuel the Lamanite (again) - Also, don't judge a man by the color of his skin. People "cursed" with dark skin can hold the priesthood too.
  • Even Christ disagrees with certain biblical changes in the JST.
  • Nephi 4 - Having everything all cheery and giggles is SO BORING, not even Mormon bothered to go over it.
  • Mormon - Even if you swear an oath (like he did, against leading the Nephite Armies), it's okay to go back on it if you feel it's the right thing to do.
  • Moroni - When the world crumbles around you, your final thoughts will surely rest on the abominable practice of infant baptism.
"But there's no sense in crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying, til you run out of cake." - Still Alive

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket