Favorite 2nd Half BoM Principles (Alma 30 - Moroni 10)

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Favorite 2nd Half BoM Principles (Alma 30 - Moroni 10)

Post by AmyJ » 29 Jan 2018, 14:45

As part of the Pathways class, I get to share 10 principles I have learned from the Book of Mormon (Alma 30 - Moroni 10).

I have 2 months to come up with 4 more principles (I am only through Helaman 9) - and I can do it.

But there is nothing that says I can't ask you wonderful folks for ideas and then adapt them into my own narrative... :P

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Favorite 2nd Half BoM Principles (Alma 30 - Moroni 10)

Post by Curt Sunshine » 29 Jan 2018, 18:16

A central part of Zion is a lack of "-ites".
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 30 Jan 2018, 06:31

Curt,
I think you are on to something. I practically had to make a flow chart diagram to chart all the different groups in Mosaiah and again in late Alma/early Helaman.

It seems that there is a struggle for integration whenever there is a) a mass baptism event and/or b) an influence of refugees/settlers mentioned in the Book of Mormon.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 30 Jan 2018, 10:38

Third Nephi 18 is loaded with "commandments" to not cast anyone out. Believers or non-believers.

Of course the exhortations on Charity.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

dande48

Post by dande48 » 30 Jan 2018, 19:43

• Corianton - Don't write another's sins in stone. Especially your own son, lest he board a ship and sail away to Tonga.
  • Captain Moroni - Even perfect prophets make mistakes in their prophecy and judgement (as he did with Pahoran).
  • Samuel the Lamanite - Sometimes you don't remember how important something is, until God specifically tells you to write it down (30+ years later).
  • Samuel the Lamanite (again) - Also, don't judge a man by the color of his skin. People "cursed" with dark skin can hold the priesthood too.
  • Even Christ disagrees with certain biblical changes in the JST.
  • Nephi 4 - Having everything all cheery and giggles is SO BORING, not even Mormon bothered to go over it.
  • Mormon - Even if you swear an oath (like he did, against leading the Nephite Armies), it's okay to go back on it if you feel it's the right thing to do.
  • Moroni - When the world crumbles around you, your final thoughts will surely rest on the abominable practice of infant baptism.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket