Alternative Interpretation: The Garden of Eden as a counterfeit

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Roy

Re: Alternative Interpretation: The Garden of Eden as a counterfeit

Post by Roy »

Wayfarer had a fascinating interpretation on the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and the Tree of Life.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2861&p=35252&hilit=schema#p35252

As best I can understand, the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil represents a schema of all the system of rules that make things black and white - good or evil. When Adam and Eve partake of this tree they reject the knowledge that might be gained by the tree of life - or the knowledge of complexity, messiness, nuance, and imperfection that comes from life experience. Adam and Eve reject this latter knowledge unless it supports the schema of the rules system schema that they adopted from the first tree.

Why then would Adam and Eve partake of the Tree of Good and Evil? Part of the explanation may be comfort and security. Life is much cleaner and predictable when we can categorize everything into little predefined boxes.

Like I said earlier, "fascinating."
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13