New Random Thought About Inspiration

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

New Random Thought About Inspiration

Post by AmyJ » 25 Jan 2018, 09:03

OK Bear With Me... This may actually be common philosophy/theory being packaged with different trappings though (Happy Birthday? )

FACTS/GENERAL ASSUMPTIONS:
1. God is the/a source of revelation/inspiration.
2. We can receive inspiration/revelation that sometimes appears like it could come from us, and sometimes does not.
3. We have the "spark of Godliness" within us - either because of a) our divine heritage b) because God said so c) because that spark comes with having a soul d) because everyone has the "Light of Christ" e) insert other reason here.
4. We can give off "revelation/inspiration" as well due to a) attending the school of hard knocks (I am really trying to make the dean's list at this school) b) being able to empathize and relate to others - however, it is limited "revelation/inspiration" because we are not omniscient and can only use our narrative/history as the ground the seed of revelation/inspiration is grown in.

In other words, we have the capacity to develop the God-like traits we have in a very infant form. In fact, that is what we are here to do. So, in theory, we are all little Gods/Goddesses/divine beings in training (pres-school level?) to receive, identify, and give off revelation/inspiration.

HYPOTHESIS:
What if some of the "inspiration" we receive is actually direction being given from the fledgling Godlike side of our soul directed to the rest of the soul/body through the brain? A form of enlightened self-talk as it were? It would look like it came from "God" (even though it originated within our selves) - and "God" may have something to do with it - but it is possible that "God" did not have something to do with it and was not interested in sending down thunderbolts/angels or other agents of change to correct our understanding.

WHAT THIS EXPLAINS:
1. Why some forms of what we thought were inspiration/revelation turn out not to be entirely true.
2. Why sometimes we receive revelation/inspiration on mundane personal matters (because the source is mundane and personal to us).
3. The "spiritual" vs "natural" person conundrum and how it feels like a personal battle (and is more or less if the "spark" being talked about could be stylized as the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other shoulder.
4. Why some of the leaders in the past said something came from "God" but it actually came from the "God within them" and wasn't corrected at a higher level.
5. The rampant message of guarding against "false" messengers, prophets, teachings, etc.

QUESTIONS:
1. Does this sound like a valid theory? Why or why not?
2. How does this/could this relate to stages of faith?
3. Are similar teachings taught in other religions?

dande48

Re: New Random Thought About Inspiration

Post by dande48 » 25 Jan 2018, 10:47

Not sure if this is where you were going, Amy, but this reminded me a lot of what I've learned about the "subconscious mind". It's a topic very central to hypnosis, meditation, etc.

Background ramble: You have a conscious mind, and a sub-conscious mind. Your conscious mind is what you'd most identify as "you". It's the one reading this text, processing the ideas behind them. Your sub-conscious mind is what processes all the little sensations, details, etc. It's the one that recognizes the pattern of symbols on the screen, the letters and breaks, and translates them into words with meaning. When reading, you no longer focus on the individual letters, or even the individual words for that matter. You save all that dirty work for the subconscious mind, and the subconscious mind happily does its thing until smthing f lags it note write.

It controls the intricate muscles responsible for keeping balance without walking, or the sequence and rhythm of keys to play a memorized song on the piano. It causes you to scratch an itch, or rub your eyes, or yawn without even thinking. And when it catches something "off", it will send a message to your brain "something is wrong", without necessarily giving you any details.

It also has the responsibility of relaying memories and forming synaptic connections. When I tell you to imagine a koala bear, your subconscious quickly navigates through your memory storage, and brings the memory of "koala bear" to the surface (even though it's probably been many months since you last saw or thought of one).

___________________________________________________________________________________________

To sum up: I think most of what we call inspiration, is the subconscious stringing all sorts past memory fragments into a central idea. It can seem like it's coming from a place outside you, because it kinda-sorta is. The subconscious is very powerful, and has a mind of its own. If you want to transfer it into spiritual terms, I think the conscious mind (You) would be "the Spirit", and your subconscious mind would be the natural mind, or "natural man" if you will. Only, the natural man is neither good nor bad; it all comes down to how it is used and controlled.
Last edited by dande48 on 25 Jan 2018, 14:58, edited 2 times in total.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 25 Jan 2018, 11:47

Dande,
It is kinda where I was going actually :P

I guess what I am/was asking is the theological implications of having a "spark of Godliness" embedded within the subconscious...

Roy

Post by Roy » 25 Jan 2018, 13:48

When I had my assumptive world collapse after the death of my daughter I felt compelled in certain directions. (An imperfect analogy would be if I woke up one day and no longer liked any of my formerly favorite foods. I can still choose to eat them but they just do not taste good to me and my heart is no longer in it. Instead I crave new foods that I was never drawn to before.) I later came across research on assumptive world collapse and realized that I was going through somewhat well defined and understood stages. That was huge to me because it meant that I was not just going crazy. It was somewhat like a rebooting process that I had no idea was there but was hardcoded into my subconscious.

While I was going through this reconstruction process I had perhaps the most clear revelatory impression from "outside" myself that I had ever experienced. It was basically a feeling of warmth, acceptance, and love for me and my daughter and it was exactly what I needed. I choose to believe that this came from God. However, I also recognize that my subconscious may have identified the anguish I was feeling and supplied the antidote and I felt this coming from outside of my conscious mind.
AmyJ wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 11:47
I guess what I am/was asking is the theological implications of having a "spark of Godliness" embedded within the subconscious...
Could raise some interesting questions. All men are born with the "light of Christ". What is this light of Christ and how does it work are not clear. Does the holy ghost use the light of Christ like a network or relay system (as some church leaders have theorized)? If so, why does he need to not have a body? What is the gift of the HG and how might that fit in?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Always Thinking

Post by Always Thinking » 25 Jan 2018, 14:47

I had to read your post history because this was an idea similar to one my husband was telling me he'd come up with a few months ago. Totally thought you might be him haha. His idea was similar. His idea was basically: what if there's a "god" part of our brain. Maybe that prompting feeling is actually our own minds trying to tell us what we need to know/do? Maybe our minds are more amazing than we think they are, who knows? But it would make sense, as you said, with prayer answers being wrong sometimes, and with people having spiritual experiences with different religions than other people. And if there isn't a God out there, it would also work for those miracles that happen. The times when someone just knows if they go down a street, they'll die. Or that just knows what doctor to go to so that they can find a cure for an illness. Maybe we still have some strong animal instincts deep within us that come up from time to time. It is an interesting idea.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 25 Jan 2018, 14:57

AmyJ wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 11:47
I think the subconscious is more rooted in the physical, rather than spiritual realm. It can be deceived, can bring up false memories, and can freak out even when nothing is really wrong. I would almost consider it to be the most "God-like", yet natural part of us. But it doesn't seem consistent, always honest, or independent from us. So I would reckon that either God is very different from how we think of him (highly likely), or the subconscious has very little to do with Him directly.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 25 Jan 2018, 15:10

dande48 wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 14:57
I think the subconscious is more rooted in the physical, rather than spiritual realm. It can be deceived, can bring up false memories, and can freak out even when nothing is really wrong. I would almost consider it to be the most "God-like", yet natural part of us. But it doesn't seem consistent, always honest, or independent from us. So I would reckon that either God is very different from how we think of him (highly likely), or the subconscious has very little to do with Him directly.
I was wondering about that too... current very nebulous theory is that perhaps the subconscious is the physical port that that spiritual soul "containing the spark of Godliness" plugs into.

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 26 Jan 2018, 09:09

I really like the theory, AmyJ.

As for subconscious/conscious mind, I think that both the body and the spirit play a role in each part. I believe that the body and the spirit are two essential parts of a greater whole. I totally subscribe to the belief that God has a body and that our bodies are part of our eternal identity.

Perhaps there are already bits of divinity in the body, not just the spirit. Maybe divinity does not necessarily mean perfect either. Or maybe it's just that the 1% divinity is often drowned out by the 99% mortal.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.