Alma and Corianton: The Parent-Teenager Responsibility Lecture + Doctrinal Discussion

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Alma and Corianton: The Parent-Teenager Responsibility Lecture + Doctrinal Discussion

Post by AmyJ » 17 Jan 2018, 10:42

For my Pathways class this week, we were reading Alma 36-42 - Alma counseling his 3 sons. I put together some random thoughts, and made 3 lists regarding Corianton.

Issues of Corianton: (Alma 39)
1) Not following example of brother Shiblon (v1)
2) Not listening to Dad while preaching amongst the Lamanites (v2) [Specificially boasting of strength and wisdom]
3) Left the Ministry (v3, v4) [Son Quit was greater embarrassment to family?]
4) Acted like a fool/sinner and chased Isabel (great flirt - most likely a Zoramite) NOTE: This is an issue because Corianton probably had a sexual relationship with her and was thoughtlessly undermining the efforts of Alma and his older brothers on both a religious and political front.

NOTE: Alma 39:5 cites "These things (1-4 listed above) are an abomination in the sight of the Lord; yea, most abominable above all sins save it be the shedding of innocent blood or denying the Holy Ghost?"
I get not following a good example, not listening to your parents, boasting of own strength and wisdom, leaving the ministry, and "going over after the harlot" are a series of bad choices/attitudes - but also part of the developmental processes of becoming an adult (well at least 3 out of 5 are - some teenagers show up where they are supposed to be and avoid chasing members of any gender). However, while the literal translation/paraphrasing is that Corianton deserted his ministry to chase the female into a different location, we are taught to assume a figurative/hidden meaning that he had the relationship with her and that is the subject of the entire lesson. Why do we teach this?

5) Issues of Doctrine (Alma 41:9)

Reasons Corianton's Actions were an issue:
1) Lead Away Others/Allow enemies to discredit Alma and his efforts (cited as leading away the hearts of many people 39:12)
2) Fear of Rejection from God (on Corianton's behalf, but not sure if Alma felt he was going to be judged for Corianton's behavior by God) (implied that Corianton's sin is almost as bad as denying the Holy Ghost laid out in 39:5-6)

Repentance Actions of Corianton (as recommended by Alma):
1) Repent (v9)
2) Forsake Sin (v9)
3) Stop chasing woman (general gist of issue v9)
4) Counsel with and listen to older brothers (v10)
5) Fix Priorities (not to be led away by vain or foolish things v11)
6) Adjust doctrine beliefs Listed as "Worries" regarding "Resurrection" (Chapter 40:1), "Restoration" (Chapter 41), and "Justice" (Chapter 42)

Alma gives lectures on all 3 subjects with an emphasis on what he believes happens to people who make unwise choices without repenting in each instance. It feels like a blistering parent-teen lecture (without a car crash involved though).

However, for the first time while reading the words Alma for Corianton, I also see the love that Alma has for his wayward son. He is saddened when Corianton left for other parts with Isabel instead of focusing on the embarrassment Corianton provided the family. He seems to identify what doctrinal issues his son has and try to provide answers based on what Alma has experienced and seen throughout his life.

I, like Corianton have a mind that is has "worries" - instances where I don't understand the doctrines the way I have previously.
However, there are is 1 scripture that I can relate to as good advice even to me that was originally intended for Corianton (see Alma 41:14-15):
" Therefore, my son [Amy], see that you are merciful unto your brethren; deal justly, judge righteously, and do good continually; and if ye do all these things then shall ye receive your reward; yea, ye shall have
mercy restored unto you again; ye shall have justice restored unto you again; ye shall have a righteous judgment restored unto you again; and ye shall have good rewarded unto you again.
For that which ye do a send out shall return unto you again, and be restored; therefore, the word restoration more fully condemneth the sinner, and justifieth him not at all."

I see this all the time in my life. When I am merciful in thought towards others, I reframe my narrative to be more tolerant of their weaknesses, am more pro-active in establishing communication (or at least know whom to avoid when without casting stones at them in my brain), and feel that I recieve more inspiration in my life. When I am petty or judgemental, I cut off contact/burn bridges, and focus on what is not really important in the situation. I look for ways to serve others and accept service from others. I have given away clothes for years now "without money and without price" [especially in the last 2 years] - and every time without fail when I came to a need for clothing for my daughters, someone has decided to clean out their closets. I keep what I can use for my children, and I keep an eye out for contacts that have children that need the clothes I can't use and hand them off. I do this because I feel it is the right humane thing to do to pay it forward. And it seems recently that bigger piles of clothes have been coming my way to address the needs/righteous wants of my children, and the needs/righteous wants of others I meet.

1) Would you ADD/SUBRACT/REPHRASE anything on any of the lists?
2) Do you feel that this is good advice you would give any wayword teenagers who came your way?

dande48

Re: Alma and Corianton: The Parent-Teenager Responsibility Lecture + Doctrinal Discussion

Post by dande48 » 19 Jan 2018, 23:18

I think one of the saddest stories in the Book of Mormon, is Corianton. He did some pretty bad things, on his mission to be sure. But his dad had a talk with him, he repented, and by Alma 49 he was an exempliary man of God. And yet, his sins are engraven on plates of gold for time and for all eternity. When speaking of Corianton, members of the Church always talk about all the wrong he did, and almost never about the story after.

I guess the advice I'd pull out from this story, for any wayward teenagers, is, "Don't write your sins in stone." In other words, don't let what you've done keep you from being who you want to become.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Gerald

Re: Alma and Corianton: The Parent-Teenager Responsibility Lecture + Doctrinal Discussion

Post by Gerald » 20 Jan 2018, 09:30

I think one of the saddest stories in the Book of Mormon, is Corianton. He did some pretty bad things, on his mission to be sure. But his dad had a talk with him, he repented, and by Alma 49 he was an exempliary man of God. And yet, his sins are engraven on plates of gold for time and for all eternity. When speaking of Corianton, members of the Church always talk about all the wrong he did, and almost never about the story after.

I guess the advice I'd pull out from this story, for any wayward teenagers, is, "Don't write your sins in stone." In other words, don't let what you've done keep you from being who you want to become.
Amen! :clap: :clap: :clap:
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 20 Jan 2018, 16:20

Good post!
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."