"The Endowment" vs "the presentation of the Endowment"

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: "The Endowment" vs "the presentation of the Endowment"

Post by hawkgrrrl » 01 Oct 2009, 11:57

MC:
I also need to accept that I will move slowly through stage 4. And NOM may be a better place for dealing with some of the stages of grief until I reach acceptance.
I think you can find some valuable support there, and I hope you can find that here, too. Both sites serve a purpose. But, BTW, the stages are not destinations really - you're always in a state of flux with just changing perspectives on issues. I think your input here has been very valuable, and I hope you continue.

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 03 Oct 2009, 09:08

I also try not to think of us as being one stage or another as an individual. We aren't that simple. I try to use the stages of faith to examine someone's perspective when they are expressing something about their faith at the moment. So a viewpoint to me can be more solidly identified with a stage, not so much a person. We all cross 2 or 3 stages at any given time in various areas of our faith image and ultimate reality.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 03 Oct 2009, 11:08

and almost everyone is in different stages regarding different issues - which is forgotten a lot. It's ok to be Stage 3 about some things, Stage 4 about some things, Stage 5 about some things - and even Stage 6 about other things. We are multi-dimensional beings - ALL OF US - and it's way too easy to start seeing others as one- or two-dimensional. We aren't - and others aren't either. There might be a problem with others, but the root problem is with us - not seeing others for the incredible complex and wonderful beings they are.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 04 Oct 2009, 15:40

I wanted to came back to saying that I think the power of the endowment is both in the endowment, and it is also in the presentation of the endowment. Symbols work to mediate our relationship with something transcendent and beyond our grasp. Symbols seen as just symbols are broken.

So the endowment works, when we give our self permission to experience it.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.