1st Sunday councils

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Heber13

1st Sunday councils

Post by Heber13 » 07 Jan 2018, 11:51

Has anyone experienced in their ward that these 3rd hour councils on the 1st of each month are working good and producing good things?

I like the idea of actions to help members. Will this work?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

nibbler

Re: 1st Sunday councils

Post by nibbler » 07 Jan 2018, 12:35

Hard to say. I attended one in a different unit than my own and... we ended up taking turns reading from church materials. No difference whatsoever than any other Sunday. I suspect it will take several months, if not years for us to get out of old habits.

I got an e-mail summary from my PH quorum's council. Sounds like I didn't miss much. Apparently they talked about letting the people that should be in PH but can't attend because they work in primary know what's going on during PH. How that filled up the 40 minutes I couldn't guess.

Full disclaimer, I don't see myself attending these councils in the future. I'll find something else to do with that hour.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 Jan 2018, 12:48

Ours didn't work well. The intention was good, the practise less so.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 07 Jan 2018, 15:31

Ours was fine as I expected it to be - things like that are right down our HPGL's alley and our group responds well. Today we talked about what we want to do for future ones and sort of laid out some common rules (no criticism of others' ideas, etc.). I understand there are concerns in many places, especially in elders quorums.

Side note, I am assigned to give a presentation about these councils at stake priesthood in a couple weeks. I would appreciate input from here about your experiences, good or bad.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 07 Jan 2018, 17:41

Mine actually turned out really well. I very much like the idea, but I'm not surprised that some wards don't have any clue what to do with them. My presidency was commenting on how it would take adjustment and it wasn't really geared towards YSA wards, but I think since we're so young and not bound as much by habit and tradition, it was much easier for us to ditch a traditional lesson and have a productive discussion.

There was a lot of talk about home teaching and some on dating, sure, but there was also a lot of talk about becoming better friends and being more unified as a quorum. One guy even brought up how his testimony was all over the place from day to day- something I can very much relate to.

HPGs will be the slowest to change. YSA EQs/RSs will probably be the fastest and will probably get the most benefit out of it.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Jan 2018, 19:51

Ours was great. We talked about areas of focus where we could help people in concrete ways. I am optimistic about where it will go.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 08 Jan 2018, 07:15

Beefster wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 17:41
HPGs will be the slowest to change. YSA EQs/RSs will probably be the fastest and will probably get the most benefit out of it.
I'm not so sure it will be toughest on HPGs. I have visited many, and the level of teaching and discussion is consistently higher than elders quorums I have also visited. Most of the "old guys" (I was ordained a HP at 32) aren't afraid to express their opinions and open up discussion. I agree that YSA wards will readily adjust because they tend to already be open to discussion and already generally less orthodox. I love when I visit our YSA branch for that reason. In my area the toughest ones, and the ones who have expressed the most concern, are the EQs. Again, I have visited many of them in this area the level of teaching and discussion generally leaves quite a bit to be desired - to the point it has been a fairly frequent topic of discussion in stake council.

I asked my wife how it went in RS yesterday and she said it was good but couldn't recall specific discussion items (apparently her mind was preoccupied). This particular RS has a very orthodox president and some very orthodox instructors, so I was expecting resistance to change which still could happen.

At the conclusion of our council I asked what we should be prepared to discuss next week and got no definitive answer. Another person suggested that in the upcoming trial text message* this week the HPGL could also give the topic for next week and he thought that was a good idea (seeing as how his leadership doesn't seem to have planned that far yet).

*We decided the best way to get the message out about our council discussion topics was text - while not all the old guys have email, they apparently do all have text messaging. Go figure. :wtf:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 08 Jan 2018, 11:08

We started our meeting by saying that the stake had a suggested lesson schedule for us but the global church leadership had said that it should be up to quorum leadership based on quorum needs so we would not be following the stake program.

We then spent a fair amount of time going over the teaching assignments for the next 6 months (who and what GC talk they would be teaching).

The teacher's improvement class was discussed and that all teachers are invited to attend (Reminded me of SD).

Near the end a list of prospective Elders was handed out and we were told that we should go over the list and be prepared to talk about how to reach out to them next time.

It kinda reminded me of a presidency or planning meeting but for the whole quorum.

I asked DW about RS. She said that they went ahead and taught a lesson on service. She believes that there may be some hesitancy for the RS presidency to show up without a lesson prepared as it might look sloppy or thrown together.

All in all, I believe there will need to be continued training on this in order to make it effective.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 12 Jan 2018, 11:22

I see it as an opportunity for the quorums and groups to make plans. Everyone is together, as much as possible, so it's a good time to set goals, review progress, make assignments etcetera. But it takes some leadership skill to do it. You have to understand how to direct participation into productive, meaningful avenues, how to filter out suggestions, let the best ones rise to the top, overcome cynicsm, make action plans, and use judgment to make sure any plans actually get implemented.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 12 Jan 2018, 20:41

SilentDawning wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 11:22
I see it as an opportunity for the quorums and groups to make plans. Everyone is together, as much as possible, so it's a good time to set goals, review progress, make assignments etcetera. But it takes some leadership skill to do it. You have to understand how to direct participation into productive, meaningful avenues, how to filter out suggestions, let the best ones rise to the top, overcome cynicsm, make action plans, and use judgment to make sure any plans actually get implemented.
About what?

Maybe it will take time...but for now...it feels like everyone just repeats the same thing...do home teaching and go to the temple. What is this council supposed to produce?

Last week felt like the dumb leading the blind. And we walked away with not much, as if the teacher forgot he had to teach and was just winging it...which...was pretty much like every other week.

2 hour blocks. Let the ward leaders council 3rd hour, but let the rest of us go home. Is it possible our quorum council meetings agree to that? No? Okay...that's what I thought...same ole same ole
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."