Scriptures as a seed rather than a source

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
nibbler

Re: Scriptures as a seed rather than a source

Post by nibbler » 09 Jan 2018, 07:42

Beefster wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 23:04
I apologize if this seems like I'm taking the spotlight; I just have a lot of thoughts to sort through because Stage 4 faith sucks.
Hey, it's your thread. ;)
Beefster wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 23:04
Just about every church member ever seems to harp on how awesome the Book of Mormon is and that you need to read it every day. I never really understood why.
I've been through phases. Not linear phases, meaning once I move to one phase I'm done with the previous phase and I never look back; more fluid phases where my view depends mostly on my mood at the time and I can revisit previous mindsets.

One phase: Why read one book over and over again when the world is full of books? While there is value in revisiting material, there is also value in exploration. Does rereading the BoM appeal to a fear of getting out from my comfort zone... or are there times where I need to retreat to a comfort zone? The answers to those questions aren't always the same.

Another phase: The BoM doesn't speak to me very much. To be blunt, I don't think it's that good. Now, do I try to convince myself that I need to read and reread the BoM over an over again to extract what good is to be found, like some sort of transcendental exercise, or can I admit to myself that the book doesn't speak to me and that perhaps my efforts are best employed elsewhere? Allow myself to not like the book.

Let the water flow downhill. If that takes me to the BoM, fine... I'll hold my nose and deal with it. ;) If it takes me elsewhere? Live. Learn.

But as an addendum to that... if other people like the BoM and find immense value in reading it each day, that's perfectly fine. I won't challenge that at all. At the same time I won't feel pressure to look at their experience with the book, wonder what's wrong with me for not having a similar experience, and try to 'force' myself to have their experience.

You like the BoM. That's cool. You don't like the BoM, also cool. You don't like it today, but like it tomorrow. That's cool. You like it today but don't like it tomorrow. That's cool too.

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 09 Jan 2018, 07:57

I think that's a fantastic attitude. I just wish there wasn't so much pressure to read it all the time. At worst, it keeps me away from other sources/seeds of truth and it makes me feel stagnant.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 09 Jan 2018, 08:07

There is a lot of pressure. Pressure I ignore.

There's always going to be a church, stake, or ward goal to read the BoM in X amount of time. The goal will be brought up in many meetings. Some members will humble brag a bit in the meetings, "As I was reading the BoM as a part of our stake goal, I really liked how Nephi was born of goodly parents..." EQPs will ask all the home teachers to be sure to ask the families they visit how they are doing in their stake goal. Etc. It will never end.

But there's no test.

Brother nibbler, how are you doing meeting the stake goal of reading the BoM in a time frame where you have to pull a Parley P. Pratt to read it in time (eating and sleeping are a burden to meeting the goal)?

"Fine."

Roy

Post by Roy » 09 Jan 2018, 09:07

nibbler wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 08:07
Brother nibbler, how are you doing meeting the stake goal of reading the BoM in a time frame where you have to pull a Parley P. Pratt to read it in time (eating and sleeping are a burden to meeting the goal)?
The YM/YW in my ward recently had an overnight activity where they read the BoM in 24 hours. Apparently a few of the kids had a really hard time staying up and had to be repeatedly awoken. I kept asking myself why? Why is this a good idea? DW finally uncovered that one of the YW needed to pass of reading the BoM for her YW medallion and was running out of time.

Our 12 year old DD did not attend. We, as parents, decided sleep was a priority.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13