Light the World

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
mom3

Light the World

Post by mom3 » 25 Nov 2017, 18:53

It's that time again. There are many programs I whine about but I love this one. My fondest wish is that we would make this a lifetime model as a church.

Days #2 and #3 - so far are my favorite.

Day #2
People around us are thirsting both physically and spiritually. We can help them receive the life-sustaining water that their bodies need and the living water that their spirits need.

WAYS YOU CAN BLESS OTHERS IN NEED

Service
Did you know that access to clean water has the single greatest impact on global poverty?
Consider donating to a cause that helps provide safe water to individuals or communities.

service
Want to make a difference on a local level?
Donate a case of bottled water to your local shelter.

service 3
Is there someone you know who is spiritually thirsty?
Share your testimony of Jesus Christ, the “living water” who can give everlasting life (see John 4:10–14).

Day #3
God designated the Sabbath as a day of rest, but that doesn’t mean we should be idle on this day. Instead, we should use our time and talents to bless others.

WAYS YOU CAN HELP OTHERS ON THE SABBATH

Service
How can you use your talents on a day of rest?
Donate the skills you use at work to bless someone’s life on your day off.

service
Is there a family member you could do better at keeping in touch with?
Get your family together this Sunday by hosting an event such as dinner or an online video chat. Include someone that may sometimes be forgotten.

service 3
How can you make better use of your time on Sundays?
Identify something from a church sermon that you can do to help someone in need today.
https://www.mormon.org/christmas/25-ways-25-days/day-3
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Roy

Re: Light the World

Post by Roy » 26 Nov 2017, 08:45

That is beautiful mom3!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 26 Nov 2017, 15:27

Thanks, Mom. I do like the Light the World "program" and I know members who do it (and I do some). On the other hand, it saddens me that we have to have a program to get members to do it and we only do it now. However, any good at all is still good.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

lotsofgray

Post by lotsofgray » 26 Nov 2017, 16:20

DarkJedi wrote:Thanks, Mom. I do like the Light the World "program" and I know members who do it (and I do some). On the other hand, it saddens me that we have to have a program to get members to do it and we only do it now. However, any good at all is still good.
EXACTLY! Why do members always have to wait for a program or assignment from church to do this? This is what all “good Christians” should already be doing all the time. How did we ever get away from this to begin with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 26 Nov 2017, 17:28

I really love the essence of the program, but I have decided I will not be formally participating. Serving and loving others should be a part of who I am, not just something I do for 25 consecutive days out of the year.

For me, checklists simply encourage me to shoehorn in meaningless service rather than actually change me. I would rather focus on being more mindful of others in need and actually take some time out of my day to help those people. No checklists. No formality.

I guess I plan on participating in the essence of the program and intend to try to make it a part of who I am.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » 28 Nov 2017, 15:09

I very much agree! I believe it was such a success last year because it is focused on loving and helping others. Faith without works is dead.
. . . beauty for ashes . . .

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 Dec 2017, 08:33

Fwiw, the hashtag idea was intended to try to inspire others outside the Church to participate.

Perfect can be an enemy of good. This is good. I celebrate the effort and won't criticize what I see as just a minor flaw when compared to perfection.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 08 Dec 2017, 11:49

I understand the checklist mentality, and the reasons that it isn't good, or could be so much better. Some people respond well to checklists, without them they would not do as much as they do in life. I'm one of those people.

For me, these seasonal service oriented programs are good. I wish I was more involved with them, being so busy in life can sidetrack me from serving those around me, and these are reminders (and an outlet) to serve.

I won't beat myself up if I don't participate more, or at all. The program is there for me to serve others, not me to fulfill any kind of quota towards the program. With that being said I will probably serve a little more because it is in the back of my mind and I want ways to serve.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 11 Dec 2017, 18:12

DarkJedi wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 15:27
Thanks, Mom. I do like the Light the World "program" and I know members who do it (and I do some). On the other hand, it saddens me that we have to have a program to get members to do it and we only do it now. However, any good at all is still good.
I think in this case we have to look at the results rather than the means. If it bears good fruit then I am all for it.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."