Amulek

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Amulek

Post by AmyJ » 14 Nov 2017, 11:29

Alma 10:2-4
" I am Amulek; I am the son of Giddonah, who was the son of Ishmael, who was a descendant of Aminadi; and it was that same Aminadi who interpreted the writing which was upon the wall of the temple, which was written by the finger of God. And Aminadi was a descendant of Nephi, who was the son of Lehi, who came out of the land of Jerusalem, who was a descendant of Manasseh, who was the son of Joseph who was sold into Egypt by the hands of his brethren. And behold, I am also a man of no small reputation among all those who know me; yea, and behold, I have many kindreds and friends, and I have also acquired much riches by the hand of my industry."
Alma 10:11
"For behold, he hath blessed mine house, he hath blessed me, and my women, and my children, and my father and my kinsfolk; yea, even all my kindred hath he blessed, and the blessing of the Lord hath rested upon us according to the words which he spake."
I found it interesting that Amulek gives his credentials in the beginning recounting who he was in society, along with his wealth and influence in his summary statement. He was a rich, influencial man - and yet, he considers himself more blessed after associating with Alma. I was thinking about it, and I can see him being one of the crowd who didn't believe Alma the first time around. He mentions how he had a hard heart before Alma showed up in his path.

I guess my question is, this man had the good life - he had money, power, influence, and family. He seems to have had a moral compass prior to encountering Alma. Did he truly change his life so much by becoming Alma's sidekick because of the spiritual answers he got from Alma?

Roy

Re: Amulek

Post by Roy » 14 Nov 2017, 14:21

I suppose Amulek may have felt that he would be more abundantly rewarded or that his rewards were spiritual in nature.

He would not have been the first wealthy and successful person that suddenly found their life to be missing something.

Maybe Amulek had a son or a wife that was suspicious of Alma. It seems like there is often a relative that does not want the successful business man to give it up and sacrifice his fortune, reputation, and legacy to go gallivanting around with an itinerant minister. Sort of a Martin Harris situation.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Heber13

Re: Amulek

Post by Heber13 » 14 Nov 2017, 15:26

Roy wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 14:21
He would not have been the first wealthy and successful person that suddenly found their life to be missing something.
I agree with Roy. And I think Alma is strengthened by Amulek's views. I like to view Amulek as being a reasonable and successful person, not needing to give up all things to go follow Alma, but willing to give and sacrifice to serve in a calling or go on a mission.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."