Jacob 3:1-4 Jacob's Tender Message

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Jacob 3:1-4 Jacob's Tender Message

Post by AmyJ » 01 Nov 2017, 13:16

"But behold, I, Jacob, would speak unto you that are pure in heart. Look unto God with firmness of mind, and pray unto him with exceeding faith, and he will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction. O all ye that are pure in heart, lift up your heads and receive the pleasing word of God, and feast upon his love; for ye may, if your minds are firm, forever. But, wo, wo, unto you that are not pure in heart, that are filthy this day before God; for except ye repent the land is cursed for your sakes; and the Lamanites, which are not filthy like unto you, nevertheless they are cursed with a sore cursing, shall scourge you even unto destruction. And the time speedily cometh, that except ye repent they shall possess the land of your inheritance, and the Lord God will lead away the righteous out from among you."

I think that this is part of Jacob's testimony - his narrative about God. He might have been young when the family was on the boat, but I can see Nephi sharing his experiences over the late-night campfires over the years, and how his experiences with his brothers shaped part of this narrative. Jacob probably knows a few things about afflictions, cause pleading, and justice. Jacob takes up similiar prophesying to Isaiah with strong words, stronger admonitions to change and return to back God, and the consequences if that does not happen.

So Jacob's instructions boil down to 5 concepts (directed to the "pure in heart" but probably universally applicable):
1. "Look unto God" - meaning eyes and direction focused on Him?
2. "Pray unto God" - with 1) Firmness of mind (Determination?) and 2) Exceeding Faith.
3. "Lift up your heads" - meaning Look up (repeat of first concept), or prepare to turn away from tears in a new direction?
4. "Recieve the pleasing word of God" - this is like Thanksgiving dinner when everyone keeps passing food around and taking what they want before passing it along.
5. "Feast upon his love" - Thanksgiving feast equivalent

What other meaning(s) can be pulled from this passage from the Book of Mormon?

Roy

Re: Jacob 3:1-4 Jacob's Tender Message

Post by Roy » 01 Nov 2017, 13:57

AmyJ wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 13:16
he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction.
I am reminded about something that Richard Bushman said. He was asked about the God of the old testament that would order entire villages to be exterminated. He said something to the effect of trying to be charitable to people whose lives within their communities were so hard and tenuous that they would seek after a God that would rain down death and destruction upon their enemies.

Reading between the lines this tells me that the God that people imagine and seek after can be different depending upon their circumstances and needs.

Early Christians and Mormons were both very marginalized. They imagined and sought after a very quick end to this system of things and the beginning of a glorious millennial vindication ... on the backs of a death and destruction "I told you so" upon the world. As a religions adherents become more mainstream and respected the urgency of this timeline subsides.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DancingCarrot

Post by DancingCarrot » 01 Nov 2017, 16:04

AmyJ wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 13:16
"But behold, I, Jacob, would speak unto you that are pure in heart... O all ye that are pure in heart...But wo, wo be unto you that are not pure in heart..."
I really appreciate you posting the whole passage, but these phrases stuck out like a sore thumb to me. I find it so fascinating that from the beginning, Jacob is dividing up who he's talking to, when he's talking to them, and the reason for the division, IE pureness of heart. I wonder, if every person who Jacob regarded as Not Pure in Heart were surveyed, would they have the same view of themselves? Inversely, would every person who he deemed as Pure in Heart think of themselves that way, too? It's been shown in studies that essentially most people believe in their work and their decisions, and actually the more fanatical someone is, the more confident and sure of they are in their correctness. Due to these reasons, I find Jacob's splitting of people ironic.

Lately, hearing BoM stories has a large amount of power to me in the sense that it shows just how human we all are, especially people who are thought of as God's Chosen Servants/People. And that message is largely positive to me.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. -Dumbledore

Roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine. Together we can see what we will find. -Mumford & Sons

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 02 Nov 2017, 05:17

DancingCarrot wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 16:04
I find it so fascinating that from the beginning, Jacob is dividing up who he's talking to, when he's talking to them, and the reason for the division, IE pureness of heart.
I figured he learned this from Nephi. Nephi was big on black and white thinking. Because there is a 15-20 year gap between when Nephi was born and when Jacob was born, I think that Jacob relied on Nephi a lot as a father figure, and was shaped by Nephi's thinking.
DancingCarrot wrote:
I wonder, if every person who Jacob regarded as Not Pure in Heart were surveyed, would they have the same view of themselves? Inversely, would every person who he deemed as Pure in Heart think of themselves that way, too? It's been shown in studies that essentially most people believe in their work and their decisions, and actually the more fanatical someone is, the more confident and sure of they are in their correctness. Due to these reasons, I find Jacob's splitting of people ironic.
I personally think that everyone is a mixture of both. Like may 65% pure in heart and the rest not-so-pure-in-heart, for example. I can relate - I was pretty fanatical as a missionary, and have mellowed since then. I have mellowed a lot in the last 6 months as I think more about my identity and relationship to God.
DancingCarrot wrote:
Lately, hearing BoM stories has a large amount of power to me in the sense that it shows just how human we all are, especially people who are thought of as God's Chosen Servants/People. And that message is largely positive to me.
That is a good message to pull from the scriptures. I am finding that that theme in the Book of Mormon studies is giving me something to think and talk about for my Pathways class.

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 02 Nov 2017, 05:20

Roy wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 13:57
Reading between the lines this tells me that the God that people imagine and seek after can be different depending upon their circumstances and needs.
That is a theme I am pursing on a different thread - thank you for connecting them for me :D
Roy wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 13:57
Early Christians and Mormons were both very marginalized. They imagined and sought after a very quick end to this system of things and the beginning of a glorious millennial vindication ... on the backs of a death and destruction "I told you so" upon the world. As a religions adherents become more mainstream and respected the urgency of this timeline subsides.
Culturally, I think Mormons still feel marginalized. I think this feeling is a catalyst for a "fight or flight" reaction. The "fight" part is going back to our unique doctrines and clinging to the "One true church" ideology. The "flight" reaction is focusing on blending in with other faiths.

Roy

Post by Roy » 05 Nov 2017, 08:44

AmyJ wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 05:20
Culturally, I think Mormons still feel marginalized. I think this feeling is a catalyst for a "fight or flight" reaction. The "fight" part is going back to our unique doctrines and clinging to the "One true church" ideology. The "flight" reaction is focusing on blending in with other faiths.
Yes, but I personally feel that this says more about us and how we continue to perpetuate the persecution complex than real marginalization going on. From us re-enacting the arduous pioneer treks to the war on Christmas to the perceived persecution over our stance on SSM - We may be primed to feel marginalized.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 06 Nov 2017, 06:57

Roy wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 08:44
Yes, but I personally feel that this says more about us and how we continue to perpetuate the persecution complex than real marginalization going on. From us re-enacting the arduous pioneer treks to the war on Christmas to the perceived persecution over our stance on SSM - We may be primed to feel marginalized.
I think that we are culturally perpetuating the marginalization on 2 fronts:
1. We dare to proclaim over and over quite loudly that we do not believe in the standard concept of the Trinity, but we are Christians. Since it gives the average person headaches to semantically split the 2, we rub others the wrong way.

2. We cast off the majority of the world and wonder why they don't like us. We don't dress like them, drink alcohol or coffee like them, and spend our time without them. I feel that we are taught the "us" vs. "them" mentality from Primary on.