Area Business Conference - Pres. Russell M. Nelson Visiting

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Area Business Conference - Pres. Russell M. Nelson Visiting

Post by AmyJ » 30 Oct 2017, 06:11

I just wanted to put out there for anyone who wanted to know, President Russell M. Nelson will be in Lansing, MI the weekend of November 10-12 for an "Area Business Conference".

PM me if you want further details.

Thanks!

SilentDawning

Re: Area Business Conference - Pres. Russell M. Nelson Visiting

Post by SilentDawning » 30 Oct 2017, 11:31

What is meant by a "business conference" -- is it a church conference? Or a conference put on by a separate business community?
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 30 Oct 2017, 11:42

I think it is a church conference. It was announced by email over the weekend and in our pulpit on Sunday.

It is not in Detroit (which is larger than Lansing), and I could not find any business conferences in the area for that weekend.

Roy

Post by Roy » 30 Oct 2017, 11:46

I speculate that they mean "Area Business" in the same way that we conduct "Ward Business".

Probably a reorganization of stakes, boundaries, new buildings, stuff like that.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

dande48

Post by dande48 » 30 Oct 2017, 11:58

As a preliminary to the Conference (I'm also in Michigan), I was recruited to participate in a Research group for the LDS Church. They're paying me $50 to come in for half an hour tomorrow. :D
"Sir, it's quite possible this asteroid is not entirely stable." - C-3PO

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 30 Oct 2017, 12:21

Interesting. I hope you will return and give us the gist of what they were surveying.

Maybe you are going to be a pilot where they pay you $50 to clean the church for 1/2 an hour. :-)

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 30 Oct 2017, 13:39

Right now I am interested in their planning...

The have a R.S. meeting from 1-4 PM, and a Priesthood Leadership meeting from 1-5 PM on Saturday November 11th.

Because we have a small branch, the brethren will not be available to babysit for the sisters for 90% of our Primary kids.

Actually, I am starting to float the idea of babysitting at the church building the kids with a few teenagers bribed by their parents and letting as many of the moms go as want to, go. It would not be fun, but I suspect that there are sisters who would get more out of it than I would.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 30 Oct 2017, 14:44

dande48 wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 11:58
As a preliminary to the Conference (I'm also in Michigan), I was recruited to participate in a Research group for the LDS Church. They're paying me $50 to come in for half an hour tomorrow. :D
I don't have any advice other than to give 'em H-E-Double Hockey Sticks. Just kidding, but it would be cool to have your voice heard in the research that goes out there.

Strange isn't it -- in the mainstream, day to day church, it's all about obedience and things being the way they are because it's all inspired. But in the back offices of research, the church has to learn just like any other organization.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

dande48

Post by dande48 » 31 Oct 2017, 12:43

Here is my report:

The Church is redoing LDS.org. The research was primarily UI testing, with most of the focus being "On LDS.org what do you want to do, and how would you do it?"

I did get a first glace as to the new layout (pending changes), and there were a few things I was happy to see. First, their website was almost split in half, between the gospel (containing most of what they have up now), and a new section they've titled "Learning to Live Better". This new section is focused on practical guidance for self improvement, as well as resources for service opportunites, addiction recovery, etc. While the Church already has many of these resources, it was great to have access to them directly from the home page. I'm also a big believer that the gospel should have real life application. I'm not a fan of metaphysical doctrine, over the here and now. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I feel like it's a very positive step in the right direction.

The second thing I was impressed with, which ties into the first, was how much easier it is to access much needed resources; such as suicide prevention hotlines and LGBT support. Can you find them on our current site? It takes some digging before getting to anything useful.

I really think the Church is headed in a positive direction. Granted, it's taking MUCH longer than any of us would like; many of us want drastic change now. But I'm glad to see the wheels in motion.
"Sir, it's quite possible this asteroid is not entirely stable." - C-3PO