An excellent viewpoint on prayer...

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
mom3

Re: An excellent viewpoint on prayer...

Post by mom3 » 30 Oct 2017, 20:14

I have a friend whose son has leukemia. It took them completely by surprise. The journey is made harder by the fact that her husband/his father was killed by a texting collision. All they have is prayer.

Over the summer as the condition has lapsed again and again, she has kept up an online journal that she sends out every Monday. After the general update she leaves two columns. One for Praise. One for Prayer.

She is evangelical. She believes deeply in Prayer Warriors who beseech God with specifics. She has greater faith in His ability than I do. Though I can't say what God will do, I pray. I pray her list. I also try dang hard to be there as a friend. Time will tell what answers she receives. But I won't hold back a request just because I am uncertain. It will serve neither of us.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Re: An excellent viewpoint on prayer...

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Oct 2017, 05:21

Curt Sunshine wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 19:45
Just to point out something important, the Lord's Prayer includes requests. If that is the model, there is nothing wrong with asking for things in prayer.

I don't like 100% the formulaic way we collectively pray, and I don't like some things that are requested in prayers I have heard, but generally asking for things in prayer is not something I mind.
Good point, although the things asked in the Lord's prayer are somewhat general. But I agree, and I don't have anything against asking for general sorts of things like, including forgiveness. If you sort of combine all the First Vision accounts it becomes more clear that Joseph Smith was mostly seeking forgiveness in his prayer and believes he got it. I have also asked forgiveness and felt peace during prayer as a result. I believe God is eager to forgive and if the accounts are correct Christ freely and immediately forgave everyone who asked him in the Bible. The church I used to attend was one that repeated the Lord's Prayer each service and encouraged members to say it outside church. I have done so and do still do so occasion. Sometimes it brings me peace. And, of course, it does include the element of asking forgiveness.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction