What kind of god do you want to affiliate with?

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Beefster

What kind of god do you want to affiliate with?

Post by Beefster » 23 Oct 2017, 17:27

I have thought before, a number of times, that if God had certain attributes, I wouldn't want anything to do with him. For instance, a god who arbitrarily decides who is saved and who is damned is a god I would not be willing to associate with.

I have come to believe in a god who wants us to be happy in this life just as much as he does in the next. A god who loves us beyond comprehension and wants nothing more than to see us all succeed. A god who is understanding of our mortal circumstances and who is forgiving. A god who has realistic expectations for us. These attributes are attributes of a god I can get behind.

If my idea of God turns out to be wrong on those points, I will take a lower reward or even "damnation" over being with him/her/whatever. If God turns out to be this petty control freak that sometimes appears to be what the church suggests is the case, I don't want to affiliate with him. If it turns out that the true God is some tribal god who expects regular human sacrifices to be welcome in his kingdom, well, I just don't want to be in his kingdom. If god turns out not to be real at all, well at least I did all I could to truly enjoy this life and make the best of it. If a belief in god was merely a tool to bring hope into my life, that's still valuable.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

LookingHard

Re: What kind of god do you want to affiliate with?

Post by LookingHard » 23 Oct 2017, 17:43

A wonderful loving mom and dad. It is that simple to me.

Always Thinking

Post by Always Thinking » 23 Oct 2017, 19:49

I consider myself a hopeful agnostic. I hope there is a God and an afterlife, but I know I could definitely be wrong and have accepted that. I also have a hard time believing that God is very involved in our earthly experience anymore. Mainly because of horrible things that happen that make no sense. There was a story a few years ago in the news that I followed closely of a toddler who had gone missing in the woods. The woods were such rough terrain that it was even dangerous for volunteers to help. Lots of places where the boy could have drowned or fallen. They were convinced that he couldn't have gone far at such a young age. But days later, they found him in a field in the middle of the woods, quite a ways outside of the perimeter they'd been searching. He had been alive for days and the autopsy showed he had died of hypothermia. That story really crushed me. It made no sense to me that a loving God who could have done something, would let this poor baby wander alone in the woods for days, starving, freezing and afraid, and not help someone find him or at least have the kid fall and die quickly. The chances of him making it that far were so surprising. It hurt me to know that God hadn't intervened to help this poor baby and instead just let him suffer for days in the woods alone. I struggled to find any sort of lesson that little boy was supposed to learn from that. That story changed the way I saw God and other things in my personal life that would go wrong and didn't seem to have any reason also confirmed that idea. So for now, I like the idea of a loving God, but the idea that he for some reason cannot interfere with us is more fitting with my experiences. Maybe he can give us comfort, but I have a hard time believing He can create miracles here, and that maybe our earth just has miracles sometimes on its own. Anyway, maybe that was a bit dark, but I do still hope there is a loving God or an afterlife. I guess to answer your question, I would need some explaining, if I found out that God has a hand in our earthly experiences, as to why he didn't interfere on certain things when it seems reasonable to interfere.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 23 Oct 2017, 20:10

I don't think I support a God who
-Would torture any of his children for all eternity. Doesn't matter what they did or how bad they were.
-Would require any of his children to physically harm any of his other children
-Would wipe his children's minds, and send them to a place with millions of contradictory, inconsistant teachers as part of a test.
-Would make any of his children less happy than they would be otherwise, in the long run.
-Would subjucate his most valiant children in the next life to the absolute neediness and dependancy of infancy, so the mothers' who lost them in childbirth will have the opportunity to raise them.
-Who lies

I can stand behind a God who
-Wants his children to be happy
-Created this world for their joy
-Encourages personal growth and development
-Never makes a promise he won't keep
-Empathizes and understands (or seeks to understand) his children
-Wants his children to become like him
-Never coerces or forces
-Always desires kindness and peace

Like LH said, a good Dad.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Oct 2017, 05:18

This is a good question partly because what I want to affiliate with, what is my perception of reality, and what I would not like to affiliate with are all different.

My answer to the question itself is the same as LH's. But throw in life experiences and observations and it's not that simple.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 24 Oct 2017, 05:23

I've got a screw loose. Rather than ask what kind of god would I want to affiliate with I ask, "What kind of god would I want to be?"
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold
-Jesus

Roy

Post by Roy » 24 Oct 2017, 08:19

nibbler wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 05:23
I've got a screw loose. Rather than ask what kind of god would I want to affiliate with I ask, "What kind of god would I want to be?"
A giant pumpkin head god? ;)
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 24 Oct 2017, 08:27

Roy wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 08:19
A giant pumpkin head god? ;)
One little slip like that can cause the Great Pumpkin to pass you by.
great_pumpkin.png
great_pumpkin.png (86.51 KiB) Viewed 595 times

:P
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold
-Jesus

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 24 Oct 2017, 20:18

I am also a hopeful agnostic. I like the quote by Marcus Arelius (at least attributed to him) to live a good life, and hope the Gods are just If they aren't, at least you lived your life as best you could.

I've had so many unusual things happen to me that have caused me to adapt in strange ways, I hope God takes that into account if it turns out there is a judgment day. Most of all, I want him to be fair with me.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 27 Oct 2017, 14:08

Beefster wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 17:27
I have come to believe in a god who wants us to be happy in this life just as much as he does in the next. A god who loves us beyond comprehension and wants nothing more than to see us all succeed. A god who is understanding of our mortal circumstances and who is forgiving. A god who has realistic expectations for us. These attributes are attributes of a god I can get behind.
My feeling is that you likely don't have much to worry about if your beliefs are rooted in these good things. The rest works itself out.

I find it hard to believe the almighty powerful god of the universe to be petty in anyway.

That doesn't mean that some evil souls deserve damnation. There are some really really bad people in this world.

I don't think the judgement will be based on mormon or not mormon, temple recommend holder or not, checklist complete or not.

It will be a judgment based on what kind of person you become, and less about how you got there.

And my feeling from your posts is that you are doing just fine and are on a good path, and if there is a god...he also knows that. It sounds like the rest of your thoughts go along with Pascal's wager, which is not a bad approach to take.

I don't believe god can be god and be petty. He would cease to become god were he so petty.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."