What kind of god do you want to affiliate with?

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: What kind of god do you want to affiliate with?

Post by Curt Sunshine » 27 Oct 2017, 15:30

I like the God I believe is taught in what I consider to be true Mormonism.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Reuben

Re: What kind of god do you want to affiliate with?

Post by Reuben » 27 Oct 2017, 20:47

I approach this question with a constraint. What I want God to be has to be consistent with the evidence I have. I don't want untruth.

Loving parent? Not in any sense that I'm familiar with. I could only make this idea work as a believer when I ignored the horrible lives that so many people lead. When I didn't ignore them, I had to absolve God of wrongdoing with ideas like "Getting body was such a privilege that..." and "This life is just blip in the eternities..." and "We chose this life knowing that it would be difficult..."

(Funny thing: when you absolve God like that, you also supply yourself with excuses to not act to change things. See also the Church's war against LGBT happiness. "God will fix everything in the end...")

Creator? God is squeezing into a narrow gap nowadays. If we eventually relegate God to The Entity That Made the Big Bang Happen because of limitations in what we can observe, I'm okay with that.

Judge? Advocate? The laws are messy, ill-defined, and communicated to us very poorly, if at all. The only judgment I'm willing to believe in consists of little more than "You made it! Good job!" for anyone who wasn't a mass murderer. (Even then, there are mitigating circumstances, from a cosmic point of view.) I won't pretend that there are well-defined, well-known and agreed-upon eternal laws, just to preserve some notion of a final judgment.

Past Believer Reuben objects to this. He says, "That's why we have the atonement!" Current Heretic Reuben replies, "Why all the complication? Geez!"

After having written all that, I'm a little closer to answering the original question.

The kind of God I want to affiliate with doesn't require me to continually defend it or make excuses for how it behaves. It doesn't require me to believe strongly in it, or even believe in it at all. On the positive side, I'd like to think it somehow occasionally nudges me toward making life better for my fellow travelers.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.