One of My Favorite Chieko Ozaki Quotes

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

One of My Favorite Chieko Ozaki Quotes

Post by AmyJ » 20 Oct 2017, 09:23

I wanted to share this with y'all because my copy of the book "Lighten Up" has been borrowed, and I finally found a copy of the quote. The first part of the essay is about letting Jesus Christ into our lives, and how we have a tendency to compartmentalize him into the "sacred" parts of our lives - even though He wants to be involved in ALL aspects of our lives.

"Jesus doesn't call you to abandon Jason's scraped elbow when you come to him. He calls you to bandage Jason's scraped elbow as a Savior-focused mother. Let him be with you as you bandage Jason's scrape. Let him join in on the conversation over those soggy paper plates. Let him carpool with you, fill out the quarterly budget with you, attend that sales seminar with you, talk over that Young Women's lesson with your daughter, try out for the wrestling team with your son, be with your mother when the doctor tells her the diagnosis.
He's not waiting for us to be perfect. Perfect people don't need a Savior. He came to save his people in their imperfections. He is the Lord of the living, and the living make mistakes. He's not embarrassed by us, angry at us, or shocked. He wants us in our brokenness, in our unhappiness, in our guilt and our grief."

Roy

Re: One of My Favorite Chieko Ozaki Quotes

Post by Roy » 20 Oct 2017, 09:51

I Love Her!!!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 20 Oct 2017, 17:02

I hear her quoted a lot, also by @Mom3. Why is she so popular among us? Is she out on the fringe a bit like Uchdorft? Are her messages untraditional?
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

mom3

Post by mom3 » 20 Oct 2017, 17:34

Silent Dawning asked
I hear her quoted a lot, also by @Mom3. Why is she so popular among us? Is she out on the fringe a bit like Uchdorft? Are her messages untraditional?
My answer is yes. Like Uchtdorf she understood and lived with Mercy and Grace as her guiding principles.

AmyJ- Fantastic quote.

The other day as I drove around one of the religious stations I listen to had a female guest who said much the same thing. She spoke about all the "things" she did to connect with the spirit. Then one day while she was sorting laundry she heard a voice, "I love how you do this." No one was around. A little later while she was dropping kids off at stuff the same thing happened again. That night as she went to bed, she realized it was Jesus communing with her. Where she was. Doing what she was doing. She said it completely changed how she communed with Him. She said now she talks aloud to him. Takes walks with him. Even asks Him what would be good for dinner.

Thank for connecting the quote and story for me.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 21 Oct 2017, 15:09

I love almost everything that woman says. I could follow her as my prophet.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 Oct 2017, 21:01

I love that woman.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 21 Oct 2017, 23:32

Looking Hard wrote
I could follow her as my prophet
She is mine.

She and Mother Teresa.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 23 Oct 2017, 08:37

SilentDawning wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 17:02
A lot of it is because she was so un-traditional - she quoted scriptures in her talks from the NIV bible for one thing. She also humorously mixed the mundane practical with spiritual applications. I think that other sister general authorities strive to do so, but fall short of doing so the way she could. I also think that a lot of us could relate with different experiences in her life. Not fit in - she qualifies. Stress from working outside the home - she knows about that.

She also had a way of relating things that drew you as the reader/listener in. She loved to draw and teach from pictures, and it is one thing that I can relate to.