For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
DarkJedi

Re: God has Favorites?

Post by DarkJedi » 18 Oct 2017, 15:10

Reuben wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 13:10
AmyJ wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 06:42
We are in the Isaiah chapters now in the Book of Mormon - with a whole lot of "God has a favorite nation - except when they are sinning".

Right now, I view the whole "favorite people" thing as an extension of the prosperity gospel cycle, so I am very skeptical. I get why Isaiah was calling Israel to repentance. I also can see why Nephi and Jacob would cherish these words and relate the prophesies to their children. I can even see beauty in some of Isaiah's words.

I just struggle with 90% of the reading assignment...
Have you read the same chapters in a better translation of the Bible?
I highly recommend the New Oxford Annotated Bible.

And on topic, I don't believe God has favorites and agree with others here that the idea seems to be part of the prosperity gospel and I lean more toward the interpretation that Nephi just meant he was blessed. However, I do think Nephi was a jerk and I'm glad I wasn't his brother.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 18 Oct 2017, 21:14

I definitely agree that Nephi was just saying he was blessed. That's why I thought the "favorites" interpretation was so strange.

Then there's the other cases where God seems to bless some people more than others for no apparent reason. A recently threadcromanced topic was uprooted about the same time, which sort of sparked this question in my mind.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 19 Oct 2017, 05:58

DarkJedi wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 15:10
I highly recommend the New Oxford Annotated Bible.
I wanted to go back to a Jewish bible for the Isaiah passages figuring that the closer I got to the "source" the better.
I found this one that seems to work for me so far:
http://qbible.com/
DarkJedi wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 15:10
And on topic, I don't believe God has favorites and agree with others here that the idea seems to be part of the prosperity gospel and I lean more toward the interpretation that Nephi just meant he was blessed. However, I do think Nephi was a jerk and I'm glad I wasn't his brother.
At this point, I view the idea of "favorites" in several ways:
1. Confirmation bias to account for diverging life choices. For example, I think that Nephi includes a lot of prosperity gospel comments to justify all the grief that came because his choices diverged from his brothers' choices.
2. Carrot for Repentance/Obedience. Main theme of the Old Testament "You have sinned. Repent and come back to God and He will bless us."
3. Narrative built to explain the unexplicable. Whole reason the Israelites were transferred out of Egypt with Moses.
4. Self Esteem Correction issue on a Nation-wide scale. Israel was able to maintain a more or less cohesive cultural identity because they remembered their "blessed" state.