What I don't understand about the Holy Ghost

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
MWallace57

Re: What I don't understand about the Holy Ghost

Post by MWallace57 » 27 Sep 2009, 15:10

So true, Kaola,

I have always been a believer that the Church was restored in stages or steps - not one giant leap. I am certain that the Restoration was underway in the 1500's and that John Calvin, a reformer (and others like him) paved the way for the Restoration. Again Calvin maintained that every home should have a Family Bible that people can actually read. Monks that knew Latin and Greek could devote their lives to reading the scriptures, but the average Joe could NEVER have been able to decipher ancient scripture. It took tremendous work, sweat and inspiration to compile the King James Version of the Holy Bible. It was extremely difficult to translate and some of its true meaning was no doubt lost in that translation. That would later give rise to disagreement amongst the Protestant Movement, most of whom traced their heritage back to Calvinism.

The fact that JS was able to have a Family Bible and read from James, Chapter 1:5, "if any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God", was a miracle, brought about through the efforts of the early reformers.

I also know that sects such as the Quakers fought long and hard for Freedom of Religion and were instrumental in achieving that precious right. Where would the Church be without freedom of religion?

I know that the Holy Ghost played a role in the early reformation and early restoration.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 27 Sep 2009, 15:42

and, I personally would add, the continuing restoration that will continue past today.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Kalola

Post by Kalola » 27 Sep 2009, 15:53

Ray Degraw wrote:and, I personally would add, the continuing restoration that will continue past today.
Very true, Ray. The Ninth Article of Faith states:

We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 28 Sep 2009, 09:47

I have attended other churches and I felt inspired during parts of the meetings. I truly believe the spirit testifies of truth wherever it teaches about Christ and the pure love of Christ.

I guess, from my experiences attending other churches, I feel there is more truth taught in the restored gospel teachings (LDS faith), so I can experience that spiritual experience more often...and that is how I've felt. Not that the other churches have no spirit, or evil spirits, or confusing signals from the spirit to stay away from the true church...simply more opportunities to feel the spirit where more truth is being taught.

I think more important than which church people go to, is how they apply it in their lives and live God's truths daily (not just on Sunday). So in that regard, my presbytarian friend who is such a christ-like guy with greater integrity than I have, IMO, he has a leg up on me in living better than I am, and probably with less truth taught to him, but what he has been taught is working. I think God will make it all fair in the end based on how we live, not just if we are mormon or not. On the other hand, I've given my friend a Book of Mormon hoping he might find something that even leads to greater enlightenment. He hasn't responded to it, but that's ok. I still view him as a saint.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

MWallace57

Post by MWallace57 » 28 Sep 2009, 14:55

I remember that there was a Unitarian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee that served many homosexual parishioners. This Christian Church was admittedly quit "liberal leaning". One day, a sniper burst into the Church, shot and killed a church member and wounded others. The congregation was in mourning, their church literally soaked in blood.

Right next door, was a very conservative Presbyterian Church. The Pastor of that Church walked over to the Unitarian Church and offered his help. "We'll feed you for one week" and help you to clean up.
Every day, the Presbyterians brought homemade lunches over to the Unitarian Church to feed those that were cleaning and repairing the church. The Minister of the Unitarian Church wept with gratitude. He said that in his congregation were many "obviously gay couples" and that the Presbyterians served them those hot, homemade lunches. The two pastors, one very conservative and one very liberal brought those congregations together to love and serve each other. Today, BOTH churches stand as monuments to love, sacrifice and service. I know that the true Spirit of Christ is in BOTH churches.