How souls choose their parents

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
SamBee

How souls choose their parents

Post by SamBee » 11 Jun 2017, 03:39

A non-LDS post about how children choose their parents - it deals with reincarnation but is surprisingly similar to LDS views in some respects.

https://www.consciousreminder.com/2017/ ... -families/
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Minyan Man

Re: How souls choose their parents

Post by Minyan Man » 11 Jun 2017, 09:43

That is interesting. My Wife & I have (2) sons.
With each pregnancy she was sure that we were going to have girls.
Later she found out that we have DIL. They're nice too.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 11 Jun 2017, 14:17

Mildly interesting. For the record, I don't totally discount reincarnation (as described in this article) as a possibility but I also don't buy into the Saturday's Warrior speculation about pre-earth life either. Pre-earth life is essentially a mystery to me - and one I don't care to investigate very deeply because it has little meaning to me.

So, here are a couple things that stood out to me in the article that also might match some LDS beliefs:
It is my belief that once a soul has made the decision to have (another) earthly incarnation, the first step is to decide on what kind of life they want. This is contingent upon what lessons they wish to learn. This involves being matched with a parent or set of parents. This process really depends on the soul’s purpose and desire for specific lessons and lifestyle.
we certainly do choose our family members, the location we will incarnate, and the different life events that will take place.
If such is the case, why would anyone choose to be born into some of the horrific circumstances some people live in? I get life experiences and generally believe experiences here do benefit us to some extent (but that they are not specifically given us individually by God). But I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone would choose to be born into family (including, and maybe especially, the author's "sole groups") where he or she may be tortured and killed. It all breaks down for me at that point.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 11 Jun 2017, 14:33

I think in both instances it would either be

* The soul wanting a challenge and being able to be improved by getting through it.

Or

* Punishment for what happened before.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 11 Jun 2017, 14:36

The idea that everyone chooses their trials too often is used to salve our collective conscience when we don't do enough to stop the pain and suffering in the world.

It is one of the best examples of a privileged worldview there is, since most people who create those views are in relatively good situations at the time. ("I deserve / earned this?") It also leads to judgmentalism, since it is easy to believe "they deserved their difficulties" as a punishment for their previous lives.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 11 Jun 2017, 17:17

Quick disclaimer - those two explanations are not my personal opinions.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 11 Jun 2017, 17:23

I know, Sam. I should have made that clear. Sorry.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 15 Nov 2017, 15:24

I've thought about this a little as well, I remember reading somewhere in the history of the church or the journal of discourses that JS hinted at and BY hinted that essentially we each keep going through lives until we eventually make the ultimate sacrifices through being Adam/Eve (I don't remember if that was part of the AG theory) and eventually being a 'savior', and that's how we attain 'godhood'. I'm obviously paraphrasing, and I've lost the source of my musings. That happens with these feeble brains.
Nothing new there :)
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." God, according to Futurama

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

Roy

Post by Roy » 15 Nov 2017, 17:03

I do not believe the following quote represents modern LDS doctrine on the subject but is interesting nonetheless.
"Lady -- whence comest thou? . . . "Knowest thou not that eternities ago, thy spirit, pure and holy, dwelt in thy Heavenly Father's bosom, and in his presence, and with thy mother, one of the Queens of heaven, surrounded by thy brother and sister spirts in the spirit world, among the Gods. That as thy spirit beheld the scenes transpiring there, and thou growing in intelligence, thou sawest worlds upon worlds organized and peopled with thy kindred spirits, took upon them tabernacles, died, were resurrected, and received their exalt[at]ion on the redeemed worlds they once dwelt upon. Thou being willing and anxious to imitate them, waiting and desirous to obtain a body, a resurrection and exaltation also, and having obtained permission, thou made a covenant with one of thy kindred spirits to be thy guardian angel while in mortality, also with two others, male and female spirits, that thou wouldst come and take a tabernacle through their lineage, and become one of their offspring. You also choose [chose] a kindred spirit whom you loved in the spirit world, (and had permission to come to this planet and take a tabernacle,) to be your head, stay, husband, and protector on the earth, and to exalt you in the eternal worlds. All these were arranged, likewise the spirits that should tabernacle through your lineage. Thou longed, thou sighed, and thou prayed to thy Father in heaven for the time to arrive when thou couldst come to this earth, which had fled and fell from where it was first organized, near the planet Kolob. Leave thy father and mother's bosoms, and all thy kindred spirits, come to earth, take a tabernacle, and imitate the deeds of those you had seen exalted before you.

At length the time arrived, and thou heard the voice of thy Father, saying, "go daughter to yonder lower world, and take upon thee a tabernacle . . . Daughter, go, and be faithful in your second estate, keep it as faithful as thou hast, thy first estate.["]

Thy spirit filled with joy and thanksgiving rejoiced in thy Father . . . Thou bade father, mother, and all, farewell and along with thy guardian angel, thou came on this terraqueous globe. [(]The spirits thou had chosen to come and tabernacle through their lineage, and your Head having left the spirit world some years previous.) Thou came a spirit pure and holy, thou hast taken upon thee a tabernacle, thou hast obeyed the truth, and thy guardian angel ministers unto thee and watches over thee. Thou hast chosen him you loved in the spirit world to be thy companion. Now, crowns, thrones, exaltations and dominions are in reserve for thee in the eternal worlds . . . That when mortality is laid in the tomb, you may go down to your grave in peace, arise in glory, and receive your everlasting reward in the resurrection of the just, along with thy Head and husband. Thou will be permitted to pass by the Gods and angels who guard the gates, and onward, upward to thy exaltation in a celestial world among the Gods. To be a Priestess Queen unto thy Heavenly Father, and a glory to thy husband and offspring, to bear the souls of men, to people other worlds, (as thou didst bear their tabernacles in mortality,) while eternity goes and eternity comes . . .

John Taylor, "The Origin and Destiny of Women," in The Mormon (Aug. 29, 1857),
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 16 Nov 2017, 14:42

Yep, that time period was deeply misogynistic.