How souls choose their parents

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
SamBee

How souls choose their parents

Post by SamBee » 11 Jun 2017, 03:39

A non-LDS post about how children choose their parents - it deals with reincarnation but is surprisingly similar to LDS views in some respects.

https://www.consciousreminder.com/2017/ ... -families/
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Minyan Man

Re: How souls choose their parents

Post by Minyan Man » 11 Jun 2017, 09:43

That is interesting. My Wife & I have (2) sons.
With each pregnancy she was sure that we were going to have girls.
Later she found out that we have DIL. They're nice too.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 11 Jun 2017, 14:17

Mildly interesting. For the record, I don't totally discount reincarnation (as described in this article) as a possibility but I also don't buy into the Saturday's Warrior speculation about pre-earth life either. Pre-earth life is essentially a mystery to me - and one I don;t care to investigate very deeply because it has little meaning to me.

So, here are a couple things that stood out to me in the article that also might match some LDS beliefs:
It is my belief that once a soul has made the decision to have (another) earthly incarnation, the first step is to decide on what kind of life they want. This is contingent upon what lessons they wish to learn. This involves being matched with a parent or set of parents. This process really depends on the soul’s purpose and desire for specific lessons and lifestyle.
we certainly do choose our family members, the location we will incarnate, and the different life events that will take place.
If such is the case, why would anyone choose to be born into some of the horrific circumstances some people live in? I get life experiences and generally believe experiences here do benefit us to some extent (but that they are not specifically given us individually by God). But I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone would choose to be born into family (including, and maybe especially, the author's "sole groups") where he or she may be tortured and killed. It all breaks down for me at that point.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 11 Jun 2017, 14:33

I think in both instances it would either be

* The soul wanting a challenge and being able to be improved by getting through it.

Or

* Punishment for what happened before.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 11 Jun 2017, 14:36

The idea that everyone chooses their trials too often is used to salve our collective conscience when we don't do enough to stop the pain and suffering in the world.

It is one of the best examples of a privileged worldview there is, since most people who create those views are in relatively good situations at the time. ("I deserve / earned this?") It also leads to judgmentalism, since it is easy to believe "they deserved their difficulties" as a punishment for their previous lives.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 11 Jun 2017, 17:17

Quick disclaimer - those two explanations are not my personal opinions.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 11 Jun 2017, 17:23

I know, Sam. I should have made that clear. Sorry.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken